Join for free
Page 16 of 51 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 12:47 AM

Re: Extinction the facts

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The simple facts are that the human population is growing at an astronomical rate. In 1930, the earths population was 2 billion. By 1975 it was 4 billion. we are now on track to reach 8 billion. By 2065 it will be 16 billion. We are breeding like rabbits. And there is not a single thing we can do about it.

Please don't tell me what China has done. They are a dictatorship and can do whatever they please. Yes, even forced abortion and sterilization.

Moreover, I, and everyone reading this, can do absolutely nothing to change our world's collective carbon footprint. Oh, sure, we can do without dishwashers and microwaves but that is like using a teacup to drain the ocean. Anyone who thinks he/she can make any impact on the earth's ecology is delusional. Yes, doing without can make you feel better but going without merely makes your life harder.

Seriously, 99.9 % of the worlds population doesn't give a rats arse about leaving a carbon footprint or about having more and evermore babies.
Everyone who plants a tree, a flower, etc. makes a difference. Anything we can do to increase wildlife in our immediate vicinity is making a difference. Small changes by everyone would make a huge difference.

Changes in fuel have made massive differences to the environment. You must have heard of the pea soupers we used to have in the UK. I remember as a child the efforts to clean the rivers in the UK. The sea clean ups. Awareness makes a big difference. We are the goldfish and if you have ever kept any you will know what they are best at - fouling their environment.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Oh come on this is one occasion digging up turf .
It’s not exactly some major irreplaceable damage . .

Reported of course by the Torygraph!

We are destroying the rainforests and the oceans and the Torygraph is worried about a bit of turf !

Travellers cause that sort of damage and leave tons of rubbish on a weekly basis all over the country !
The BLM movement has done real damage left right and centre and not to just a bit of turf!!

Come on you can do better than that surely ?
Just one example, Muddy.

Instead of attempting to criticise my response, perhaps you could try to answer the questions I asked:

"I cannot for the life of me see what benefit to anyone that mindless damage has done.
Can you explain it? Can you justify it?
"

I suspect that you can't!
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Flogging a dead horse their JBR, doomsayers don’t do logic
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just one example, Muddy.

Instead of attempting to criticise my response, perhaps you could try to answer the questions I asked:

"I cannot for the life of me see what benefit to anyone that mindless damage has done.
Can you explain it? Can you justify it?
"

I suspect that you can't!
And you can’t give me a better example than a small of a bit of hallowed Cambridge turf that no one is allowed to walk on!

Yes I can justify it because years of talking / petitions / scientific evidence as made no impact on the government ,
Non violent civil disobedience is the next step and one that has historical precedents for change .
Any benefits arising from this movement will be for the generations to come our grandchildren
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 01:47 PM

Why people may ask did the protesters dig up the turf at Cambridge University - as described by JBR ?

Cambridge university is well aware of the effects of carbon emissions ,burning fossil fuels and the destruction of the worlds forests and oceans in pursuit of these ends.

The University even has its own climate crisis initiative, Cambridge Zero, which states that if we are to avert a climate disaster, we must sharply reduce our emissions, starting today… We are the last generation who can do something about catastrophic climate change.

Yet the University and its colleges still invest approximately 6.4% of their endowment funds in fossil fuel companies - at the last valuation this was over £400 million. They carry out research enabling the industry to drill for more oil in environmentally sensitive areas such as the Arctic, give them social licence by naming many buildings, scholarships, professorships, and awards after them, and even allow Schlumberger, the world's largest oilfield services company, to occupy a huge research laboratory on their West Cambridge Site It is clear that the University is in thrall to the very industry that is destroying our planet.
For the last five years the students and staff of Cambridge University have asked that it divest itself of these interests as have many universities using normal democratic means.
Cambridge has ignored this .
Hence the protests .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 04:09 PM

And you can’t give me a better example than a small of a bit of hallowed Cambridge turf that no one is allowed to walk on!

Yes I can justify it because years of talking / petitions / scientific evidence as made no impact on the government ,
Non violent civil disobedience is the next step and one that has historical precedents for change .
Any benefits arising from this movement will be for the generations to come our grandchildren
And you think that criminal damage will do anything to persuade the government to make changes that you can't even specify?

I must say, with all due politeness, that you do surprise me, Muddy, with your lack of any real logic in supporting such unnecessary damage to other people's property. Not something that I would ever lower myself to do, especially as it would achieve nothing other than to lower civilised people's opinions of the movements you appear to support.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2020, 04:55 PM

Criminal damage ?
Well on the scale of crime ( and I have fully explains the reasons above )
Digging up a bit of turf is probably about about -2.
Their polo team probably does more damage every few chukas.
As Cambridge University have such a vast portfolio of investments - I am not good at maths but if 6 % is £400 million pounds the entire portfolio will be about 6 .7 Billion ????
It’s not even a pin prick not even a smaller flea on a fleas back.
The entire combined portfolio of Oxbridge is estimated at £ 21 Billion so I’m not going to weep over a bit of turf .
It not even a mole hill much less a mountain
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-09-2020, 05:11 PM

Criminal damage ?
Well on the scale of crime ( and I have fully explains the reasons above )
Digging up a bit of turf is probably about about -2.
Their polo team probably does more damage every few chukas.
As Cambridge University have such a vast portfolio of investments - I am not good at maths but if 6 % is £400 million pounds the entire portfolio will be about 6 .7 Billion ????
It’s not even a pin prick not even a smaller flea on a fleas back.
The entire combined portfolio of Oxbridge is estimated at £ 21 Billion so I’m not going to weep over a bit of turf .
It not even a mole hill much less a mountain
I'm still awaiting an explanation of how criminal damage will benefit anyone, other than make you and yours feel happier.

I hate to say this, Muddy, as I have always had the highest respect for you but, to me, causing damage like this is comparable to an upset child stamping its feet and crying, "If I can't have what I want, I'm going to smash my brother's toys!"
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2020, 05:27 PM

No it’s not at all.

They laid down their requests and have been doing in a completely democratic way for five years .

Ie please divest those sections From the university portfolio that are damaging the planet .

They were ignored.

Now they have made their point and it has hurt no one .

They have also been fined heftily for their actions .

Meanwhile those that tore down the statue of Colston in Bristol have been let off with a caution .

The benefit is this .

It highlights the hypocrisy of Cambridge university .

That preaches one thing and does another .

But principally it will make their voices heard.

People who support and leave them money and yet believe in the planet may think again .

Look at Ghandi

Look at the bus boycott by black people In America .

non violent Civil disobedience works
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Everyone who plants a tree, a flower, etc. makes a difference. Anything we can do to increase wildlife in our immediate vicinity is making a difference. Small changes by everyone would make a huge difference.

Changes in fuel have made massive differences to the environment. You must have heard of the pea soupers we used to have in the UK. I remember as a child the efforts to clean the rivers in the UK. The sea clean ups. Awareness makes a big difference. We are the goldfish and if you have ever kept any you will know what they are best at - fouling their environment.
Well said Annie
At one time nothing lived in the Thames
It was so polluted if you fell in you were in grave danger of dying .

Page 16 of 51 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top