Join for free
Page 188 of 190 « First < 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

After spending part of the day yesterday in Ikea enjoying their tasty meatballs, we motored on to the Meadowhall shopping mall. Some shops were closed, but for most it was business as usual. Everyone was required to wear a mask, and I didn't notice anyone not wearing one. Shoppers were thin on the ground though. It did mean that we were able to take tea and cake in M&S without queuing.....

So the meatballs and cake might have been responsible for me feeling good and enjoying my Tuesday five. No problems with sun in my eyes because it hadn't risen by the time I went out...Along the busy road and back down the quiet lane this morning. Quite a few dog walkers out at the beginning of the lane, then solitude for the rest of it....Mist swirled across the fields and made the lane disappear in the distance. It turned out alright by the time I got there though...

Not a record breaking time even by my standards, but a very satisfying and comfortable run in the end......

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 11:59 AM

A chill in the air this morning but an amazing sunrise as I jogged out into the country. Right from the start I felt good, and it turned out to be one of the best runs of the year.....

Not the fastest six miler, I hasten to add....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-09-2020, 11:11 AM

Mrs Fox and me are taking some friends and neighbours off to a garden centre for Saturday lunch.......Yipeee!

Will report back later....

Covid? what Covid?....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:31 PM

Good for you Bob, do it while you can. 👍

Enjoy your lunch and company.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Thanks Mags, but we had to resort to plan 'B'.....
We arrived at the chosen garden centre to find people queueing around the corner and out into the car park...
There were people coming out actually carrying Christmas Trees?

We haven't been to this garden centre since well before lockdown, it's one of the biggest round here (Brigg 30 miles away) and there's lots to do for the kids, and a big shopping area that sells everything from Books to wellingtons....As well as the usual Gardening stuff....

They also devote a whole floor to Christmas things in October, but it seems that now it has spread into September.....So roast beef and Yorkshire Puddings will have to wait for a less busy time....Probably post Covid....

Anyway, plan 'B' swung into action and after a scenic drive through S c u n thorpe (I got lost and had to resort to the sat nav) we arrived at our second choice, which was only half full and were welcomed in with open arms (2 metres apart obviously) where Cottage pie with chips and a good selection of seasonal veg were available, all followed up by Treacle Sponge and Custard..... Yum! Yum!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

20-09-2020, 12:36 PM

So this mornings eight and a quarter mile run was powered by yesterday's Treacle Sponge and custard....

The sky was full of cloud and although the sun was up there somewhere, I didn't see it at all. In fact, I had to check the clock twice at half five, because it was still night and I thought I had got up too early.

Nothing exciting happened during the run and it all went according to plan. The time was okay, just in the average bracket, so it's catch up with yesterday's Tour de France, and get ready for today's last stage into Paris. I reckon I've earned a day in front of the telly...

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 10:33 PM

You have Foxy, now at full pace working, just about achieving 28000 paces, not good enough. Can't do the garden yet, keep getting bitten by pesky biters, so, waiting for the weather to break a bit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You have Foxy, now at full pace working, just about achieving 28000 paces, not good enough. Can't do the garden yet, keep getting bitten by pesky biters, so, waiting for the weather to break a bit.
Good work Spitty, sorry about the midges, but the good news for you is; This will be the last warm sunny day for a while....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-09-2020, 10:33 AM

This mornings poor time for five miles didn't reflect how good the run was, and how much I enjoyed it. I love this time of year! Everything in nature is gradually shutting down for winter. Baled up hay and straw neatly wrapped and spread around the fields awaiting collection, branches hung low with fruit, and the lane littered with acorns and conkers. There was a time when I was young that you would never see a conker laying on the ground, after they had all been gathered up by the local school kids, me included, for competitions in the yard.

Apparently with the official onset of Autumn, either today or tomorrow, there will be a vast change in the weather with temperatures plummeting ten degrees and Atlantic storms sweeping the country. Looks like some inside jobs...

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-09-2020, 05:31 PM

Interesting and unusual things seen on this morning’s walk, despite the gentle rain...
A small brown frog hopped across my path. He stopped half way across, I suppose he thought he wouldn’t be seen if he stayed still, he had nothing to fear from me, after a quick examination, and a wish that I had brought my camera, we both went our separate ways.

The second was a hare sat in the middle of the path about a hundred yards away, I decided not to give him a race this morning even though he stayed on the path for quite some time as he sped away, glancing back occasionally’ I suppose to see if I had given chase. I fear my hare racing days are over, I could probably have beaten him over a distance....

A two carriage train rattled along the railway line in the distance and it got me thinking. I heard on the news that due to Covid, train passengers were down 50% and the rail companies were struggling and finding it hard. My thoughts then turned to the hospitality trade, and they too were having problems through the lack of custom.

It occurred to me that the whole way of life in the 21st century is a balancing act. A tower of carefully stacked bricks one on top of the other and each year that goes by, more bricks get balanced on the top until the whole tower becomes unstable and topples over. Is Covid the gust of wind that finally topples the tower?

Refugees from maybe Iraq or Afghanistan, or some other country where war was the gust of wind that toppled their towers and took away their homes. Even with the most careful of construction (the higher the tower, the greater the fall) eventually every tower will fall, and history is littered with piles of bricks from fallen towers, in the most unexpected places, and for the most unexpected reasons.....

Page 188 of 190 « First < 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top