Join for free
Page 346 of 370 « First < 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 06:48 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

LQ, I am thrilled to hear that you had such a good day. What a workout!

So what do you think about the yoga? Do you think you will attend regularly? I think it's an excellent addition to your fitness program. Good things your way!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 12:08 PM

At last I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, or at least, the other side of the field I run beside on my five mile course. Since the shortest day back in December it seems to have gone against all the odds and continued to get darker..... It eventually pushed my start time back from six thirty to seven, and then even 7:20am, where some mornings I was stumbling around in the dark on my first mile over that rugged field. Not to mention the odd running shoe filled with icy cold water from an invisible puddle...

Good dry conditions this morning and no puddles to avoid, although not proper daylight, it was good enough to navigate the path without incident. All was going splendidly until I joined the lane on the last mile. The local farmer had decided to prepare his field for the forthcoming growing season and his stubbly tractor tyres had turned up almost half a mile of mud on the lane.

Fortunately with no rain to speak of for the last couple of weeks the lane was dry and it was easy to find solid ground to run on, but I'm not looking forward to running down here after the rains which are forecast soon. Looks like plan 'B' and a nice clean road route for a while....

So a decent five this morning but nothing to write home about.....Or the forum....See what tomorrow brings....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Reporting fresh from a run, that finally offered sunny skies and plenty to enjoy after a couple of weeks of soggy weather. I like the changing skies and the sensation of running in fog or ran, but in the end, nothing beats blue skies and warmth on my back. I relate with OGF in that the dark really limits one's ability to run. I can handle most of the elements, but darkness is a bit of a threat to safety, not just because of potential bad guys lurking in the bushes, but for the holes and bumps that I always manage to find.

Gravity storms are the worst sort!

Five miles and change. I am happy, happy, happy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

07-02-2020, 06:50 AM

We've had some wild storms moving through, knocking squirrels' nests out of the boughs and causing the neighbors' shingles to scatter down the lane. Even as I type, the wind is roaring and the dogs are curled up on the rugs and sofas in tight circles, signifying stinging chill factors just outside the door .

Before the front, when the front was compressing the humid air in front of it, I dashed out long enough to squeeze in a long warm run with the pelicans overhead. I ran the beach with angry surf warning of the wild weather coming, leaving me side-stepping and hopping over incoming waves while sinking into the soft, wet sand every now and then.

I am noticing that I am having a tougher go of it this winter, and thinking that my fitness is down from a lack of surfing. Spring can't get here soon enough! Still winter brings empty trails and beaches which is heavenly.

5.5 miles today , 0.0 tomorrow .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
We've had some wild storms moving through, knocking squirrels' nests out of the boughs and causing the neighbors' shingles to scatter down the lane. Even as I type, the wind is roaring and the dogs are curled up on the rugs and sofas in tight circles, signifying stinging chill factors just outside the door .

Before the front, when the front was compressing the humid air in front of it, I dashed out long enough to squeeze in a long warm run with the pelicans overhead. I ran the beach with angry surf warning of the wild weather coming, leaving me side-stepping and hopping over incoming waves while sinking into the soft, wet sand every now and then.

I am noticing that I am having a tougher go of it this winter, and thinking that my fitness is down from a lack of surfing. Spring can't get here soon enough! Still winter brings empty trails and beaches which is heavenly.

5.5 miles today , 0.0 tomorrow .
Nice going Surfermom.
All those storms are due here in the next few days.....
I love going to the coast when it's rough.....
Stand by for graphics......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-02-2020, 01:28 PM

With the wind howling around the house and the rain pelting the window I zipped up my hooded waterproof and set off for my (long?) Sunday run. After I was intimidated by the BBC weatherman and the sound of the wind in the chimney I had made up my mind to cut it to just a six miler.....

With the wind behind me and just light rain blowing in the wind I covered the first four mile comfortably. I felt really good as I reached the junction and automatically turned onto the eight mile course.

With occasional gusts from a strong crosswind it didn't feel too bad, although it kept blowing my hood off and allowing the now driving rain to trickle down my neck. Avoiding bits of falling branches was another problem while trying to keep my hood in place with one hand. In the end I abandoned the idea of running out of balance, released the hood and let nature take its course.

The road was now awash with puddles that stretched from side to side, trying to avoid wet feet wasn't a problem anymore, so I splashed through anything that blocked my path. I arrived at the river bridge, it's higher than anything else around, and the wind was following the river and blowing under and over the bridge. As soon as I reached the crest a huge gust of wind almost lifted me off my feet, adrenalin was pumping and so were my legs to get me off that bridge as soon as possible....

The worst was yet to come, the next mile (mile seven) rose up from the the little hamlet of South Bramwith and provided no protection from the now gale force wind that was full in my face. With head down I dug in to the small climb to the top, almost running on the spot every time a gust hit me square in the chest. Driving rain pricked the bare skin of my legs, which had now turned a weatherbeaten glowing orange colour. Nothing to do now than just hang on and fight to the end of this wild open stretch of country road.

At last I made it to the shelter of the village and a smile ran across my face, after everything that storm Ciara had thrown at me this morning I had made it home, despite her best attempts to thwart me, and I realised that I am probably in the best shape of my life considering my age.....
8.2 miles but a very poor time....Who cares...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 02:20 PM

You were very brave to venture out on an 8 mile run in this weather, Bob ..... a pat on the back for you

I hope you don’t suffer for it later...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

10-02-2020, 01:15 AM

I just loved this account and most especially in your determination to get out there no matter what. I can relate to all of those feelings and obstacles, often through squinting eyes while being pelted with rain.

What I liked even better was that you turned a planned six into 8. That is the mind of a runner, if ever there was one.

I felt the same winds you did today, at one point feeling like I was like a cartoon character running in one place despite wildly pushing forward only to be nearly lifted like a kite in the opposite direction. I only ran five with the sun shining overhead nary a hood to be seen.

I imagine the hot shower and cup of tea afterwards were pure bliss.

Well done having your way with Ciara, OGF!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-02-2020, 12:41 PM

Thanks Mags and Surfermom, I seem to have survived unscathed by yesterday's experience. If I have learned anything after being a runner for so many years is that the mind will always want to take the path of least resistance.

The amount of times that my mind says 'No' but my body says 'Yes' and once I'm out there it never seems as bad as I thought that it would be. Something that I'm sure Surfermom has experienced on many occasions.

I must admit, that a hot shower and steaming mug of Yorkshire tea is something to be enjoyed after combat with the elements...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

14-02-2020, 06:27 AM

Yes, the mind is strange about going despite the odd aches and pains, but what is especially cool is that while I leave the house lazy, I come back getting things done like a CEO at the speed of light. Not wanting to waste that productivity, shower and treats are delayed until my brain slows down to the recovery speed my relaxing body. I've definitely learned to make the best of tapping into that energy before it sneaks away. The downside is the suffering of the poor souls who must be in the room with my zooming, perspire-y self! Eww.

I slogged my way through the pea soup fog this morning, the object of all that condensing water vapor. 5.25 miles, a spotless kitchen, and shampooed carpets.

Page 346 of 370 « First < 246 296 336 344 345 346 347 348 356 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top