Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:48 PM

Re: Over and Out

I do think in view of the circumstances (our final departure after over 3 years of false last days) the waiving of a few tiny flags by a handfull of MEPs should have been accepted with good grace by the humourless MEPs from other member states
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
[I]Yesterday the European parliament voted for the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

As a fervent Leaver, I am looking forward to 11 pm tomorrow evening, but I have mixed feelings abou the flag waving incident.

My initial reaction, I admit, was to laugh at NF's actions but, on reflection, I wonder if it would have been more suitable if he had delivered a dignified speech.

What are your thoughts?
I always like to watch the performances in the british parliament, as do many europeans. You don't get to see such shows in parliaments of other european countries, except occasionally in italian's.
Mep's from farage's calibre brought that kind of behaviour to the europarliament, where it was and is totally out of order. So the show yesterday was in line what was to be expected from misfits of his kind.
On the other hand, as he stated himself, it took him 27 years to get this far, so as far as I'm concerned, he is entitled to his final moment of glory.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I do think in view of the circumstances (our final departure after over 3 years of false last days) the waiving of a few tiny flags by a handfull of MEPs should have been accepted with good grace by the humourless MEPs from other member states
Perfectly OK for the rest of the MEPs to wave scarves with flags on, singing Auld Langseyne though isn't it
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Perfectly OK for the rest of the MEPs to wave scarves with flags on, singing Auld Langseyne though isn't it
Signifying the ever increasing brotherhood of nations in the EU?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:48 PM

One of our local ex-MEP's was interviewed on our local radio this morning about NF's speech. She said he'd always been thought of as a bit of a clown and was treated as such on Wednesday. This ex-MEP (Green Party) then went on to say she would still carry on with her work as a local district councillor and university lecturer.

What I want to know is how the heck did she have the time to be an MEP, Councillor AND a lecturer all at the same time?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-01-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
One of our local ex-MEP's was interviewed on our local radio this morning about NF's speech. She said he'd always been thought of as a bit of a clown and was treated as such on Wednesday. This ex-MEP (Green Party) then went on to say she would still carry on with her work as a local district councillor and university lecturer.

What I want to know is how the heck did she have the time to be an MEP, Councillor AND a lecturer all at the same time?
The mps in the HoC are required to give their other sources of income. Take a look at that list and wonder how they combine such a multitude of jobs.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 06:39 PM

I hate (oh gosh, do I have permission to to say that, EU ? ) the degeneration of decorum and politeness that has been going on of late - especially here in the U.S. As such, I winced a little at the flag waving that might have been more appropriate as part of a celebration on the return of the contingent.

However, censoring Farage at the end of his speech by cutting off his microphone and following up with a rebuke about how one may and may not the word "hate," without permitting a rebuttal is a perfect example of how the EU was manipulating you all like an authoritarian parent. I would think that censorship of a member state would be at or near the top of a dozen reasons why secession was absolutely justified.

Hope you are waving your flags now; you don't need permission from anyone!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by surfermom ->
i hate (oh gosh, do i have permission to to say that, eu ? ) the degeneration of decorum and politeness that has been going on of late - especially here in the u.s. As such, i winced a little at the flag waving that might have been more appropriate as part of a celebration on the return of the contingent.

However, censoring farage at the end of his speech by cutting off his microphone and following up with a rebuke about how one may and may not the word "hate," without permitting a rebuttal is a perfect example of how the eu was manipulating you all like an authoritarian parent. I would think that censorship of a member state would be at or near the top of a dozen reasons why secession was absolutely justified.

Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

30-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
However, censoring Farage at the end of his speech by cutting off his microphone and following up with a rebuke about how one may and may not the word "hate," without permitting a rebuttal is a perfect example of how the EU was manipulating you all like an authoritarian parent. I would think that censorship of a member state would be at or near the top of a dozen reasons why secession was absolutely justified.
Perhaps you are ignorant of the speaking rules in europarliament. Farage was attributed 4 minutes time to address parliament. The chair of the parliament keeps oversight that every member sticks to that time and doesn't ussurp the time of others (seems a tactic common in HoC?).
If a speaking member exceeds his alloted time, or uses abusive language, his/her microphone is closed. It seems a more sophisticated way than shouting: order! Order!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I hate (oh gosh, do I have permission to to say that, EU ? ) the degeneration of decorum and politeness that has been going on of late - especially here in the U.S. As such, I winced a little at the flag waving that might have been more appropriate as part of a celebration on the return of the contingent.

Thanks for your support Surfer. Sadly, flag waving in England (just England) is still considered racist unless it happens to be a world cup year.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top