Join for free
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

17-05-2020, 03:32 AM

Playing with my Meat...

I know that meat processing plants are now under attack for Covid contamination, not shutting down and then the fear that if they shut down America will starve. This has nothing to do with that situation.

A couple of years ago, the price of ground beef, even the cheap fatty stuff, hit over $3 a pound and it just started to get too expensive to afford. Therefore, we decided to look into replacement ground meats for our foods, with the added bonus that other meats were healthier. But you go and try to buy ground turkey, chicken or pork in a one-horse town at an affordable price. Just ain't happening. So we decided to invest in the KitchenAid Mixer (the wife wanted it more to start making bread) but we also got the grinding attachment. It's rather expensive (we dropped $50 at Wal-Mart for it) but it pays for itself in the long run. Now we could grind up our own selections without paying the $4-$5 a-pound grinding convenience fee. Now when turkeys go on sale for under a buck a pound, I pick up a couple and grind them up. I like a mix of white and dark meat, for added flavor, and you can pick up the cheaper pork cuts and use them for your ground pork. As an added bonus, this goes much easier when you have 2 people working together, one doing the cutting and one doing the grinding so this turns into a cooking date / quality-time activity a couple can do together outside of the bedroom.

In prepping your ground meats, you can set yourself up some time-saving before you put it initially into the freezer. I do have standard selections of straight ground meats for future use, but I also combine my meats for specialized meals (Hamburger patties, meatballs and even meatloaf) and have them pre-formed to reduce cooking prep time on the back end. This recipe will work for any of those choices.

Amount of ingredients is proportional per 1 pound of meat. Mixing meats is recommenced for additional taste sensations. For larger portions of preparation, increase proportionally.

Ingredients

1 pound of ground meat (chicken, turkey, pork or beef)
1 egg
1/2 cup of standard breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan (highly recommended over pre-grated options)
2 TBSP of Olive Oil (makes meatballs more moist and yummy)
2 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 TSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Onion Powder
1/4 TSP Black Pepper

Finely diced Green Pepper and Onions can be added to the meat if so desired. Finely diced is the key. Anything too large and it will affect the bonding of the meat, especially when cooking.

Add other additional seasonings to taste. If you want spicy, add paprika, cayenne, etc.

Mix well, form into patties, balls, or loafs, then freeze. Individual patties can first be put into standard sandwich bags then mass frozen in quart freezer bags to save the cost of using unnecessary expensive freezer bags. Expect that meat will last at least 6 months.

Feel free to share your experiences and enjoyment.

Happy Eating!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Re: Playing with my Meat...

Minced (ground) meat is still quite cheap over here - but - I like to buy the fresh meat and mince it myself. That way I know exactly what is in it. Your recipe sounds good - have copied it into my recipe file.

That is an impressive looking mincing machine and seems to have a good selection of attachments. I suspect mine is a bit smaller but it does have a thingy for making sausages - which is good.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 07:33 AM

Don't let your Bedroom Activity become a Grind, this could lead to folks Playing with their Meat.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Minced (ground) meat is still quite cheap over here - but - I like to buy the fresh meat and mince it myself. That way I know exactly what is in it. Your recipe sounds good - have copied it into my recipe file.

That is an impressive looking mincing machine and seems to have a good selection of attachments. I suspect mine is a bit smaller but it does have a thingy for making sausages - which is good.
What kind of beef do you use Tabbs? I have a mincer attachment on my Kenwood Chef but I haven't used it yet.

I presume that cheaper cuts of meat such as shin and braising steak would be okay?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What kind of beef do you use Tabbs? I have a mincer attachment on my Kenwood Chef but I haven't used it yet.

I presume that cheaper cuts of meat such as shin and braising steak would be okay?
Yes - those are fine, Judd, as is Stewing steak. Great for making burgers.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 10:03 PM

There is an attachment for Kitchenaid mixer that allows you to make your own sausage. When I lived in The Philippines, Italian sausage was not available for love nor money. So, I bought natural casings from my butcher and used 85% lean pork and my own personal seasoning mix. Every bit as good , if not better, than anything I could buy back home.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 03:41 AM

You can’t go wrong with a kitchen aid mixer. I had one for about 20 years and used it a lot but last year the motor died. Twenty years use out of it, I won’t complain.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

18-05-2020, 05:26 AM

Have been looking at the Kitchen Aid website. While the main mixer still seems to be made in Ohio - a lot of the components and attachments are made in China - so it is definitely off my shopping list. Shame - it looks good.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have been looking at the Kitchen Aid website. While the main mixer still seems to be made in Ohio - a lot of the components and attachments are made in China - so it is definitely off my shopping list. Shame - it looks good.
Yes, Kitchen Aid is the top of the line and THE choice for professionals at home use. Unfortunately, nearly everything these days has components made in China.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top