Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 12:38 AM

Re: What Washing Powder Do You Use?

I buy whatever 9kg tub of washing powder is on special at the time I need it. Currently it is Cold Power Advanced with a touch of Cuddly, Ultra Concentrated- according to the label (I just looked). I think they are usually about $30

It lasts for ages (years?). I once bought a 14kg tub but it was a bugger of a job walking back fro the Mall with it so I stick to 9kg now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The one Omah mentioned is (to my knowledge) really for helping outdoor clothing to stay waxed and weather-proof.
I have used it on a showerproof jacket I had, to try and keep it weather-proof.
I have never heard of it being used for 'normal' laundry requirements.

NikWax Tech Wash is NOT intended for waxed clothing - it is meant to be used to clean garments with a DWR (Durable Water Repellency) outer layer, which in my case, include jackets, gilets, trousers and shirts.

Nikwax Tech Wash is a soap, not a detergent, which is environmentally friendly, being non-hazardous, water-based and biodegradable - unlike a detergent, Tech Wash does not leave behind hydrophilic (water-attracting) residue after washing.

Although NikWax Tech Wash will revitalise DWR and revive breathability, it will not "re-proof" any garment - for that, another, appropriate, product must be used, e.g. NikWax TX.Direct Wash-In or Spray-On.

Since NikWax Tech Wash is a "mild" cleaner, it can readily be used where another soap product, say Dri-Pak Liquid Soap Flakes, has been used on 'normal' garments and found to have disadvantages, such as leaving a residue behind and giving garments a "waxy" feel.

In my post, I said

For all my walking clothes - outer, liner and inner - I use NikWax Tech Wash

For other clothes and sensitive fabrics, I use Surcare liquid
So, for example, I would not use NikWax Tech Wash for underwear and socks nor would I use it for dress shirts, sweaters or jeans .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So quite a few like, Ariel. A few like Persil non bio. That was a lot cheaper in Costco, than Ariel. I suppose really, the Persil might have been suffice for me as my clothes aren't heavily soiled!
I used Persil years ago and got an ‘itchy band’ around my tummy where a waist band had been. That might have been Persil bio?

I have never heard of the ones Omah mentioned. We have Home Bargains down here but l’d have to travel quite a way.

Paula, Surf, reminds me a bit of Daz. I think, l might find them a little harsh?
Yes, Azure. I remember someone using a mangle years ago!

Carol, l have never heard of the pink stain remover.

Mups, l know you said, don’t take any notice of the prices but l do find £9 a bit expensive for the fabric conditioner.

I use a Vanish soap tablet for stains.
Art my poor mum had a terrible reaction to Persil too.
It used to cause her to have a very angry rash .
I tend to use anything that is on offer as long as it’s non bio.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

[*]never tested on animals
Those are the magic words - it is on my shopping list now!

Thank you, Omah.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 06:34 AM

Wow - what a price difference!

Surcare Laundry powder 1.65kg box (25 washes)

Amazon = £14.
Sainsbury's & Waitrose = £6

Seems Amazon is not always your friend!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So quite a few like, Ariel. A few like Persil non bio. That was a lot cheaper in Costco, than Ariel. I suppose really, the Persil might have been suffice for me as my clothes aren't heavily soiled!
I used Persil years ago and got an ‘itchy band’ around my tummy where a waist band had been. That might have been Persil bio?

I have never heard of the ones Omah mentioned. We have Home Bargains down here but l’d have to travel quite a way.

Paula, Surf, reminds me a bit of Daz. I think, l might find them a little harsh?
Yes, Azure. I remember someone using a mangle years ago!

Carol, l have never heard of the pink stain remover.

Mups, l know you said, don’t take any notice of the prices but l do find £9 a bit expensive for the fabric conditioner.

I use a Vanish soap tablet for stains.
I tried that stuff Arty but every time I went to the cupboard to get a tablet, they had disappeared.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:05 AM

Problem with non bio powders and liquids are they eventually make your washer smell as they don’t kill the bacteria that builds up over time, use a dedicated machine cleaner or biological detergent every so often or a dedicated cleaner, on a hot wash,,,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

14-08-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Problem with non bio powders and liquids are they eventually make your washer smell as they don’t kill the bacteria that builds up over time, use a dedicated machine cleaner or biological detergent every so often or a dedicated cleaner, on a hot wash,,,
Or a generous dollop of white vinegar!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:52 AM

Omo!!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 08:32 AM

We use Astonish non bio 2 in 1 liquid with built in conditioner from Home Bargains. Label says it is dermatologically tested and not tested on animals.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top