Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:42 AM

Rancid wheelie bin

Our green wheeliebin (for food and garden waste) smells particularly rancid. Have tried bleach, karcher jetwash and also jeyes fluid, but to no avail.

Have any of you had the same issue and/or got any advice?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 03:00 AM

Re: Rancid wheelie bin

My food waste such as peelings goes into the compost bin or if edible the dog ( if it’s ok for him) I never put unwrapped food waste ( such as chicken bones )in the wheelie its all in a black bin bag. So I never have this problem .
Stick some neat dettol in your bin . When it’s empty leave it in the sun with the lid open .
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My food waste such as peelings goes into the compost bin or if edible the dog ( if it’s ok for him) I never put unwrapped food waste ( such as chicken bones )in the wheelie its all in a black bin bag. So I never have this problem .
Stick some neat Dettol in your bin. When it’s empty leave it in the sun with the lid open .
That should do the trick, works for me.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 07:24 AM

All food waste goes in compostable bags and the bins get hosed out everytime they get emptied.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Our green wheeliebin (for food and garden waste) smells particularly rancid. Have tried bleach, karcher jetwash and also jeyes fluid, but to no avail.

Tell the council it has been stolen and you will get a new one.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Fresh air is good for smells, after washing the bin leave it outside with the lid open tipped up if it is wet inside the bin ..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Our garden waste bin could be smelled from yards away after it was emptied of grass cuttings that had gone rotten at the bottom. Soap, water, disinfectant and leaving it open until dry sorted it out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 09:40 AM

Take the lid off, ring the council and tell them the bin is broken, they will tell you to leave it out the front of your house and they will replace it with a new one. At least that is what my council does, I presume yours is the same.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:42 AM

You should never mix food waste with compost Dex !!
It will cause an infestation of rats at the compost site!
I think you have been given faulty instructions on your bin ??
On getting rid of the smell l see others have allready dealt with
that aspect ..

Donkeyman! 👍👍👍
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Tell the council it has been stolen and you will get a new one.

A friend of mine asked for a new bin and although they got one, they were expected to pay for it.
Seems they only issue one bin for free.

Possibly it depends on your local council though? Best to enquire.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top