Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 05:20 PM

Re: Fisheries Bill ...

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
But they've just refused to negotiate Solly??
Barmy wont discuss untill we make concessions on what we have
just announced will happen??
How stupid is that??
Roll on Xmas!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
He is making the same mistake Barnier has made, thinking the UK will negotiate its fisheries away for a second time. It simply won't happen.

The mighty EU looks like an empty vessel run by cretins, because that's exactly what it is. Breathless Barnier is desperate and clinging on for dear life while the 27 look at him with failure written all over his face.

When he comes over next week we should empty chair him.

Can't stop laughing at him
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
But they've just refused to negotiate Solly??
Barmy wont discuss untill we make concessions on what we have
just announced will happen??
How stupid is that??
Roll on Xmas!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Boris thinks that the EU at the eleventh hour will put aside it's red lines and give boris all he is asking for. The EU will never jeopardize the single market, so it's not going to happen.

Barnier thinks boris is a responsible leader who cares for his country. He is wrong, boris cares only for boris the pm.

So by october both barnier and boris will look around themselves in surprise, only to conclude time for a deal has elapsed, the moment has passed.
I would very much welcome that, because it is the only way to teach the british the foolishness of brexit.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Boris thinks that the EU at the eleventh hour will put aside it's red lines and give boris all he is asking for. The EU will never jeopardize the single market, so it's not going to happen.

Barnier thinks boris is a responsible leader who cares for his country. He is wrong, boris cares only for boris the pm.

So by october both barnier and boris will look around themselves in surprise, only to conclude time for a deal has elapsed, the moment has passed.
I would very much welcome that, because it is the only way to teach the british the foolishness of brexit.
I agree with your assumption that there will not be any giving in from any of the both sides at the last possible moment. They both will keep their faces.

However I do not think that BREXIT is foolish. Many people have been trying to predict the precise outcome of BREXIT during the last years and it is yet not clear how it will be. Even if it turns out to be negative from a financial point of view, is is not foolish.

I see the strong will of >50% of UKs population to be 100% free of any ties to any other entity. That strong will cannot be foolish in my opinion. Even if BREXIT turns out to be worse than before the UK gained something that they so desperately wanted.

Concerning Frost and Barnier I have great respect for both of them because they "play" this game so professionally. I assume that they know very well that their negotiations will not be successful. Still they don't walk away but continue to treat each other respectful and seem to be serious about their mandates and tasks. I find that respectful and I cannot laugh at any of the two.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I agree with your assumption that there will not be any giving in from any of the both sides at the last possible moment. They both will keep their faces.

However I do not think that BREXIT is foolish. Many people have been trying to predict the precise outcome of BREXIT during the last years and it is yet not clear how it will be. Even if it turns out to be negative from a financial point of view, is is not foolish.

I see the strong will of >50% of UKs population to be 100% free of any ties to any other entity. That strong will cannot be foolish in my opinion. Even if BREXIT turns out to be worse than before the UK gained something that they so desperately wanted.

Concerning Frost and Barnier I have great respect for both of them because they "play" this game so professionally. I assume that they know very well that their negotiations will not be successful. Still they don't walk away but continue to treat each other respectful and seem to be serious about their mandates and tasks. I find that respectful and I cannot laugh at any of the two.

The UK position is to leave the EU with or without a deal, that was the manifesto that Boris Johnson was voted on as Prime Minister in the 2019 General Election. He won with a landslide victory of 80 seats and consequently we left the EU on the 31st January this year as promised, with a deal (the Withdrawal Agreement).

The UK has nothing to fear from an (average) 6% tarrif from exports to the EU. We have been exporting to the rest of the world (and importing with the applied CET tariffs) in greater capacity with the rest of the world than we have the EU. The EU is a shrinking market for the UK, it has been for over 20 years.

What is going to be even worse for the EU, is the reduction in volume of trade from countries such as Canada. The UK accounted for around 45% of exports as an EU member state and come January next year, Canadas exports to the EU become around 45% less.

I discussed this last week with Catherine McBride (an economist) funnily enough, and both she and I think that there will be some fingers tapping on the negotiating table of those unratified, incomplete trade deals where countries now want the EU to make up for the UK loss of business and offer more to make the tariff free trade worth while.

Next week, Barnier has to admit failure and his blaming the UK will simply won't hold water. Over the past 2 years, the UK has completed around 22+ trade deals and the EU has only managed around 40 in the last 40 years (this includes the 27 and the EEA members), plus a bunch of countries they don't really trade with anyway (like Vietnam).

Now, when you consider the top trading partner for the EU (the USA) doesn't have any trade deal with the EU anyway, (and as the UK also has had tariffs have been applied while we were a member state), do you honestly think we will hand back our sovereignty and territorial waters because of 6% tariffs ??

I don't think so
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:41 PM

If Barnier had your attitude and we had had Frosty 3yrs ago all this
pretence of negotiations would never have happned at all and all
would have been over and things would be carrying on as if nothing
had happened ! Notice l said AS IF??

Donkeyman! 😁😁😁
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:41 PM

There is a discrepancy between the experienced problem and the solution. Being free of restraints is understandable. So my question would be, since brexit has been done for over 7 months, what is it that you can do now, that you couldn't, but needed, to do as a member of the EU? And was being a member cause or part of the problem.

Before the referendum numerous benefits of brexit were promised, now it is all about damage mitigation.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The UK position is to leave the EU with or without a deal, that was the manifesto that Boris Johnson was voted on as Prime Minister in the 2019 General Election. He won with a landslide victory of 80 seats and consequently we left the EU on the 31st January this year as promised, with a deal (the Withdrawal Agreement).

The UK has nothing to fear from an (average) 6% tarrif from exports to the EU. We have been exporting to the rest of the world (and importing with the applied CET tariffs) in greater capacity with the rest of the world than we have the EU. The EU is a shrinking market for the UK, it has been for over 20 years.

What is going to be even worse for the EU, is the reduction in volume of trade from countries such as Canada. The UK accounted for around 45% of exports as an EU member state and come January next year, Canadas exports to the EU become around 45% less.

I discussed this last week with Catherine McBride (an economist) funnily enough, and both she and I think that there will be some fingers tapping on the negotiating table of those unratified, incomplete trade deals where countries now want the EU to make up for the UK loss of business and offer more to make the tariff free trade worth while.

Next week, Barnier has to admit failure and his blaming the UK will simply won't hold water. Over the past 2 years, the UK has completed around 22+ trade deals and the EU has only managed around 40 in the last 40 years (this includes the 27 and the EEA members), plus a bunch of countries they don't really trade with anyway (like Vietnam).

Now, when you consider the top trading partner for the EU (the USA) doesn't have any trade deal with the EU anyway, (and as the UK also has had tariffs have been applied while we were a member state), do you honestly think we will hand back our sovereignty and territorial waters because of 6% tariffs ??

I don't think so
No, I don't think so either. I mentioned it several times that you all can be happy looking forward into a fantastic future without the EU.
Moreover you all can be happy that all of the "doomed" EU is none of your business in the future.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 07:51 PM

I don't think so
Well put Bread, l am impressed !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁😁👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

02-09-2020, 07:54 PM

If you are right the UK has nothing to fear from the end of transition, and gove is throwing away millions of pounds on measures that are superfluous.
No deal is no problem either, so angela merkel is quite right in scrapping brexit from the EU agendas. There are more important matters than a whining third country that by its own words has no problems beside a bungling pm.
Germany

02-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
There is a discrepancy between the experienced problem and the solution. Being free of restraints is understandable. So my question would be, since brexit has been done for over 7 months, what is it that you can do now, that you couldn't, but needed, to do as a member of the EU? And was being a member cause or part of the problem.

Before the referendum numerous benefits of brexit were promised, now it is all about damage mitigation.
The question "what can you do now that you couldn't do as an EU member?" has been asked several times but at least I haven't found an answer in the news and forums which I read.

One thing that comes to my mind is: you can apply for a visa if you want to visit an EU country. This was impossible before.

Do you really think it is about damage mitigation now? Whi do you think so?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top