Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:52 AM

Re: Why do we judge

Originally Posted by d00d ->
But isn't this a thing of days gone by? I remember as a young man meeting parents of friends (or worse a maiden aunt): and what do you do. Do people still say that? In the olden days there were set career paths and people stuck on those paths. Also re snobbery, it was just people "from a good family" that went to uni, and went on to become true professionals. It's all different now.
When I was young d00d, nobody asked what you did because it was a given that you worked down the pit....
The local insurance salesman was classed as 'Posh' because he had a car.... The local bobby only had a bike so he was working class like the rest of us....
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Yes but does that mean that an academic is superior to a cleaner say..?
One of the senior managers where I worked at a University Students' Union before retirement always said "The most important members of staff here are the cleaners. Without them, we would be unable to function and would have to close the building." Wise words. The staff had a lot of respect for him, because he treated everyone with respect.

If anyone at a social gathering asked me what I do, I would answer that I'm retired. If they then went on to ask me what I used to do before retiring, I think I'd say, well it's no longer relevant, is it? Because I'm not doing it now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Not everyone has access to IT, not all books are in e-form, not everyone has spare cash to buy books.
But what is the per capita cost of providing hard copies of books plus costs of the library itself to include staffing, heating, insurances etc? Hard copies of books can be rented by mail so a library is an expensive thing indeed.

Other facilities that some libraries provide such as internet access should be delivered by the town hall if there is a call for it. Libraries are very much yesterday and with the ubiquitous net an unaffordable and unnecessary thing.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:36 PM

I hope I show everybody the same respect, no matter what job they do

I find conversation easier, with people who have the same interests as me , but if I take the time to listen I find I can learn a lot from people with different interests.
I think we should never judge anybody until we know them better.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But what is the per capita cost of providing hard copies of books plus costs of the library itself to include staffing, heating, insurances etc? Hard copies of books can be rented by mail so a library is an expensive thing indeed.

Other facilities that some libraries provide such as internet access should be delivered by the town hall if there is a call for it. Libraries are very much yesterday and with the ubiquitous net an unaffordable and unnecessary thing.
Would you also apply the same processes to other establishments such as art galleries and museums? (obviously their stock can't be rented).
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
One of the senior managers where I worked at a University Students' Union before retirement always said "The most important members of staff here are the cleaners. Without them, we would be unable to function and would have to close the building." Wise words. The staff had a lot of respect for him, because he treated everyone with respect.

If anyone at a social gathering asked me what I do, I would answer that I'm retired. If they then went on to ask me what I used to do before retiring, I think I'd say, well it's no longer relevant, is it? Because I'm not doing it now.
When I worked in banking we had an elderley cleaner who did her job well & was friendly. She retired, so on her last day of working for us we all made party food and had drinks in the bank after closing. We bought presents for her & she was delighted. But we had another surpise......
when she went outside to go home our manager had arranged with our customer Rolls Royce Motors to have a chauffer driven Rolls Royce & a big bouquet waiting to take her home. She said it had been the best day of her life and all 15 bank staff had to wipe a tear from their eyes!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When I worked in banking we had an elderley cleaner who did her job well & was friendly. She retired, so on her last day of working for us we all made party food and had drinks in the bank after closing. We bought presents for her & she was delighted. But we had another surpise......
when she went outside to go home our manager had arranged with our customer Rolls Royce Motors to have a chauffer driven Rolls Royce & a big bouquet waiting to take her home. She said it had been the best day of her life and all 15 bank staff had to wipe a tear from their eyes!
Awww! Thats a really touching story, Twink. What a way to honour her work!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->

Aah lovely story. The lady deserved it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Glad you’re not in charge!! I couldn’t be without my library, and nor, I expect, many other avid readers.

Leave our libraries alone, TAT.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

25-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That lady was paid to clean the bank, not our tea cups, but in the years she worked for us she insisted that we leave the cups for her to wash. Every morning there was a tray full of clean cups for our morning coffee.
She was a bit like a mother figure to all the staff!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top