Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 08:52 AM

Re: I have never seen...

I lived in a village as a child, I have seen a few snakes in my time, whilst walking through the field at the back of our house, my feet came in contact with one, I haven’t a clue what type of snake it was, I actually froze on the spot, it was like I knew instinctively what to do, it just slithered by, I don’t think I ever went into that field again.

There is a lot of common ground in Oakhanger ,Hampshire , where the adders loved to hang out, as a child playing hide and seek we were quite unaware of the dangers, a friend of mine was bitten by an adder whilst playing hide and seek.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 08:53 AM

Aren't badgers nocturnal?

I remember, as a 60s child, going out looking for them after dark.

We didn't have much luck, a special night-vision torch is required.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Aren't badgers nocturnal?

I remember, as a 60s child, going out looking for them after dark.

We didn't have much luck, a special night-vision torch is required.
Not in our house. They come and scratch at the garden door for food!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not in our house. They come and scratch at the garden door for food!

Still waiting for the picture of them you said a while back that you would post?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Still waiting for the picture of them you said a while back that you would post?
I forgot about that!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

27-07-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I forgot about that!

What a lovely sight that must be, I’ve never seen a live one only dead on the roadside.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

27-07-2021, 11:06 AM

How about looking online for Badger watching Carol?

I’m sure you would find a group in your area?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 11:45 AM

Lots of Adders on the North Yorkshire Moors Carol, they bask on the path in the early morning sun to get warm, you need to watch where you are putting your feet, I almost stood on one once. They certainly bring your hackles up with the sound they make, squirming and rubbing their scaly skin together, it sounds like hissing!

We saw lots of grass snakes when we used to ramble out in the country as kids. And while running out in the country I've encountered stoats, weasels, hares, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, owls, deer, and Jack Russels....little b'stards... I've only ever seen dead badgers at the side of the road though.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 02:29 PM

Snakes eeeeee, I'd move house if there were snakes anywhere nearby...spiders are bad enough
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Snakes eeeeee, I'd move house if there were snakes anywhere nearby...spiders are bad enough
Only had a grass snake once here, a few years ago in that Summer, it stayed for about a week, I think it was after the newts in the pond.
It used to lie curled up sun bathing on the bottom step off the patio & lived under the steps, there was a hole in them. When it saw any of us coming it would slither back under the steps, I also saw it swimming across the pond.
After it left I thought no more newts, but it couldn't have caught them all as we still have newts now in the pond & lots of baby newts this year too.
They aren't dangerous even though they are very long snakes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top