Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:19 AM

Break up of the UK???

We all knew that if the UK votes Brexit the Scots are likely to want a re-run of their 'independence' referendum, but now it seems the Northern Irish may also seek seek re-unification with Eire as they all wanted a hundred years ago!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-eu-referendum
Pie
Devon
Pie is male  Pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Re: Break up of the UK???

Pigs might fly before there is reunification.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:45 AM

I'll wait and see how the Scottish Parliamentary elections in May go..Ms Sturgeon may not be returned as First Minister,then it'll be all change,

As for Northern Ireland/Eire...I don't know enough about it ,but I would guess it would be unlikely.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Would be nice, but I can't see it happening either, could cause a lot of bother.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Hi

We leave the EU, Eire stays in.

Simple scenario.

Economic Migrants move freely within the EU, so getting to Eire no problem.

They cross the Border into Northern Ireland and bingo they are in the UK.

Which means closing the Border with Eire, if we don't there is no point in closing the Border on the Channel.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We leave the EU, Eire stays in.

Simple scenario.

Economic Migrants move freely within the EU, so getting to Eire no problem.

They cross the Border into Northern Ireland and bingo they are in the UK.

Which means closing the Border with Eire, if we don't there is no point in closing the Border on the Channel.
How will they cross the border into Northern Ireland Swim?
Surely there are border controls? And isn't that what leaving the EU is all about; control of our borders?

And there are as many people in Northern Ireland who want to remain as part of the UK as there are who want to be part of Eire. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't have been a hundred years of strife.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:08 AM

If Scotland and Ireland want to go their own separate ways, I won't shed any tears.
Along with the EU, they have been nothing but economic and other burdons to Great Britain anyway.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How will they cross the border into Northern Ireland Swim?
Surely there are border controls? And isn't that what leaving the EU is all about; control of our borders?

And there are as many people in Northern Ireland who want to remain as part of the UK as there are who want to be part of Eire. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't have been a hundred years of strife.

Afraid your lack of geography of Northern Ireland betrays you - its an 'open' border and cannot be closed, since there are farms and open country which straddle the border, these cannot be easily policed or patrolled as the army and police discovered during the 'troubles'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEmy8nif7J8
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Hi

We have a Common Travel Area with Eire, so controls are minimal.

Eire is outside the Schengen Free Travel Area, however in reality, this means naff all.

There are many loopholes for people with EU ID, which Germany and others are giving out like confetti.

Worst case Scenario, we have to do something as soon as we vote out.

Best case Scenario, we have five years to sort it out.

A lot will depend on our negotiations with Eire in particular and the EU in general.

Call me Dave has done nothing, we should have been talking already.

I feel sorry for the Eire Government, passions run high in Ireland on both sides of the Border, and it is going to be a massive political problem for them.

It is yet another example of my concerns.

I have no problems with leaving the EU in it's current form.

Leaving will cause us all sorts of problems, which will cost us.

Many of these problems could and should have been sorted before we held the Referendum, we could have left without most of them being an issue for the UK, all it needed was a little bit of foresight and planning.

Cameron has done nothing, we are faced with a mess.

He promised a Referendum by 2017, he is holding it a year early simply because he was asked to by Merkel and Hollande, so as not to interfere with their Elections.

I could not give a stuff about either of them, he should have held the Referendum next year, not this year and used that time to make sure we left on the best possible terms.

He should have our interests first, that is his job, looking after us, not the two biggest dictators in the EU, France and Germany, who run it for their benefit.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:51 AM

I'm afraid it's the same with Scotland, How on earth would one guard against anyone wanting to cross over to England if we vote to come out and Scotland in? Short of building a 30 foot wall the length and breadth of the land between the two areas with a border crossing at Carlisle !! I see the same images as happens between Mexico and Texas .

I read this morning that the Migrants are massing on the beaches of Dunkirk now. Three boatloads of migrants have already been stopped from crossing to the Channel Islands!

Thank you to the French for parking them on the beaches ready to try to get to the UK.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top