Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Ray le her
New Member!
United Kingdom
Ray le her is male 

01-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Re: 1972 BBC TV series "The British Empire"

You would not have found it then, I was looking years before then.

Ray
Deville
New Member!
California, USA
Deville is male 

05-07-2021, 03:59 PM

I watched every episode of that series, because it was very well done. Some parts were brutal, and did not flinch about describing some of the terrible acts done to local individuals and populations by the British soldiers and administrators.

I suspect that is why it has been erased from the archives, as it does not fit the officially-sanctioned story of how Britain brought the wonderful gift of western civilization to all these savage nations (who remain eternally grateful by participating in the British Commonwealth to this very day)!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deville ->
I watched every episode of that series, because it was very well done. Some parts were brutal, and did not flinch about describing some of the terrible acts done to local individuals and populations by the British soldiers and administrators.

I suspect that is why it has been erased from the archives, as it does not fit the officially-sanctioned story of how Britain brought the wonderful gift of western civilization to all these savage nations (who remain eternally grateful by participating in the British Commonwealth to this very day)!
I'd have been interested in that.

I don't doubt that among the good there will always have been the bad as well, and I accept that such things would have happened during the Raj.

I am a great believer in free speech, and along with that must also come the truth even if it isn't always very palatable.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top