Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:32 PM

Re: Is this the start of a post-Brexit boom?

Thanks for starting this thread Zaphod, after all the Covid doom and gloom it is good to hear some encouraging news.

I am sure many countries are suffering from Covid problems & are worried about their economy, but we had Brexit to think about too. If we can survive Covid & Brexit I may raise a glass of champagne to the UK.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Can't you read Brucy, we are out of the EU now, so how does the
local content come into it?
From what you say, it seems Australia could be accused of dumping
their coal in China at give away prices and thus fuelling global
warming??

Donkeyman! 👎👎

I think Bruce is just sore because they don't make cars in Oz anymore and he knows they're unlikely to ever again.
From almost half a million a year in the 70's to nil must hurt the ego.

Not to mention that Bruce seems to think that digging ruddy great holes everywhere in his country is somehow good, but each to their own.

The UK has the genuine potential to become a significant manufacturer of autos with the rise of EV's, as Nissan understands only too well it seems.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for starting this thread Zaphod, after all the Covid doom and gloom it is good to hear some encouraging news.

I am sure many countries are suffering from Covid problems & are worried about their economy, but we had Brexit to think about too. If we can survive Covid & Brexit I may raise a glass of champagne to the UK.

Might I very politely request that instead of Champagne you instead try a British sparkling, like one of my personal favourites: Harrow & Hope Brut Reserve.
https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/wines?Ntt=Harrow+and+hope

I have to be honest; British bubbly along with other wines have improved no end and there are some truly excellent examples about.
Please have a read about them.
The changing climate is seeing our wines diversify and grow too.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

Might I very politely request that instead of Champagne you instead try a British sparkling, like one of my personal favourites: Harrow & Hope Brut Reserve.
https://www.laithwaites.co.uk/wines?Ntt=Harrow+and+hope

I have to be honest; British bubbly along with other wines have improved no end and there are some truly excellent examples about.
Please have a read about them.
The changing climate is seeing our wines diversify and grow too.
The only alcohol I drink is wine & I did have a nice bottle of British white wine at Christmas, so thanks for that link I may try some.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-01-2021, 02:16 PM

The only alcohol I drink is wine & I did have a nice bottle of British white wine at Christmas, so thanks for that link I may try some.
Yes, please buy British.

I know that Laithwaites can be an expensive option if you're not a regular purchaser (I love their Klein Constantia though .... ) so here's a few links with some others (both more and less expensive) that might be easier on the wallet and easier to find for the more occasional imbiber.

https://www.waitrosecellar.com/champ...sparkling-wine

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...rkling-nv-75cl

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/293459308

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/b...sparkling-wine
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 02:36 PM

Hi

The EU was not for me, so pleased we have left.

Not happy with the way we left, too many locals losing their jobs.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-01-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The EU was not for me, so pleased we have left.

Not happy with the way we left, too many locals losing their jobs.
I understand frustrations on a personal level but sometimes it's necessary - better, even - to look at the bigger picture.

From what I'm seeing so far the signs are looking good for a bright and prosperous future.
Of course, we aren't there yet; it's up to all of us to grasp opportunity rather then shedding tears for the past.
We are probably heading for the biggest change since the industrial revolution as climate change, a pandemic and more combine to prompt a review of so much of that which we had become comfortable and even complacent with.

It is time to move on from the past.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Yes, please buy British.

NO, no, no, please don't buy BRITISH wines. These are made from cheap imported grape juice. Buy ENGLISH wines which are made from grapes grown, fermented and bottled in England. We've been buying Camel Valley (Cornwall) white and rosé sparkling wines for a couple of years now and I can thoroughly recommend them.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-01-2021, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
NO, no, no, please don't buy BRITISH wines. These are made from cheap imported grape juice. Buy ENGLISH wines which are made from grapes grown, fermented and bottled in England. We've been buying Camel Valley (Cornwall) white and rosé sparkling wines for a couple of years now and I can thoroughly recommend them.
Ahem.

"Henry started winemaking in Bordeaux and Oz, but in 2010 he and his wife returned to England and planted a 6.2 hectare vineyard of Chardonnay and both Pinots in Marlow. It lies on a southfacing slope, with soils of chalk and flint. Ideal for vines, but punishing for the machinery! In 2013, they completed a winery too .."
That's from my first link, Percy.

Now I'm not saying that maybe there aren't instances where foreign grapes are used but even the Sainsbury's link I posted says "The grapes for this wine are grown in prime vineyard sites across Southern England.", and it is usually easy enough to check.

Wines are made across Britain you know, not just in England and hence "British".
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...obably-7993053

Even Scotland has tried the odd vineyard; global warming has led to grapes successfully growing further north here in the UK.
There's even a dedicated British vineyard website.

https://www.vineyardmagazine.co.uk/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Can't you read Brucy, we are out of the EU now, so how does the
local content come into it?
From what you say, it seems Australia could be accused of dumping
their coal in China at give away prices and thus fuelling global
warming??

Donkeyman! 👎👎
Dear Assman you can blame Boris (Cheers for Boris!). It is all to do with your Brexit deal with the EU and EU tariffs. Lithium batteries require 30% local content for a few years then I think it goes to 50% otherwise the EU will load a tariff on them. It appears that your Brexit deal and being out of the EU might just mean that you don't have a say in the rules that affect your trade any more.

Coal? Nope, we don't dump coal on the market it is called economies of scale, we have enough coal for another 300 years in seams metres thick and near the surface and we can sell it at a good profit as quickly as we can get it on a ship.

As for global warming, yep, Australia produces more carbon per capita than any other country on the planet including the US and China. Our poor PM, Scotty from Marketing, might actually have to come up with a real policy on global warming now that Trump is out of the picture. Murmuring "clean coal technology" or "gas led recovery" won't cut it any more.

Here's a picture of a coal mine, I hope that helps.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top