Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Re: We have been run over.

Hi

I did not expect it to be easy, I did expect it to be better than it is.

May gave away too much, Boris has been worse.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Petra ->
I still have faith but sometimes it's not easy. I believe that if this shitstorm that we're going through hadn't happened the government would be putting more of their energies behind fighting the eu, once again.
There's only so many hours in a day, and right now we have other more pressing priorities to deal with.
I agree. Covid was bad timing as we left the EU.

What we need now is positivity, not whinging about it. Who knows what will happen in the future but we need to invest and to focus.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It amazes me that anyone would have thought that all would be all champagne and roses the moment we left, it is something we will all have to work towards and will take time. Leaving was just the first step on a long journey, undoing forty years of lies, duplicity and deep rooted vested interests and corruption was never going to take five minutes, so keep the faith I say, keep the faith and the rewards will be great in time. I don't believe that any other party can pull this off and voting for any other party will only dilute the power required to succeed.
Originally Posted by Bread ->
I don't think things will improve if we keep allowing the EU to dick us over and we sit here doing nothing. They've banned our shellfish exports, created a border in Ireland (albeit temporary) and are cutting the UK off from its financial markets.

They are also making life difficult deliberately with our transport and also frustrating the Northern Ireland border with the UK (that now exists when it didn't before).

We need leadership and some backbone from our government. With an 80 seat majority they have a golden opportunity.
I think you are both right to an extent. We need to keep working on the deal to tidy things up and, yes, that's going to take time. We also need to keep on at the EU for their, some say childish, attempts to make life very difficult for the UK post-Brexit. Our Government shouldn't been seen to be just rolling with the punches all the time, we must retaliate at least once in a while to show them that we're not rolling over all the time and to show them the error of their ways in full.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 04:04 PM

Yes. I was looking forward to 2024, if necessary of course.

However, three more years is a long time to be taken advantage of by the EU. The May 2021 local elections can be very useful. Not that they will make any difference to the government, of course, but they might bring home to Boris the level of public feelings.

Yes, I shall vote for Reform UK in May, assuming that they stand in my area, and hopefully I shall not be alone.

If there is a significant loss of Conservative support, whether or not Reform UK gains a similar number, it would surely send a clear message to Boris that he is losing public support - well before 2024!

Ideally, I hope for a complete end to the WA and removal of all the ties still binding us to the EU.

Once again, the future of our country really is in our own hands. I hope that many of our people understand that.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 04:55 PM

It amazes me that anyone would have thought that all would be all champagne and roses the moment we left, it is something we will all have to work towards and will take time. Leaving was just the first step on a long journey, undoing forty years of lies, duplicity and deep rooted vested interests and corruption was never going to take five minutes, so keep the faith I say, keep the faith and the rewards will be great in time. I don't believe that any other party can pull this off and voting for any other party will only dilute the power required to succeed.
At last a voice of reason.

Sadly you're wasting your breath in here Barry, because some people will only ever see what they want to see and if you point things out that don't fit with their opinionated stance they turn nasty.
It's good to see that there are still some sensible, reasonable people able to see the bigger picture.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I think you are both right to an extent. We need to keep working on the deal to tidy things up and, yes, that's going to take time. We also need to keep on at the EU for their, some say childish, attempts to make life very difficult for the UK post-Brexit. Our Government shouldn't been seen to be just rolling with the punches all the time, we must retaliate at least once in a while to show them that we're not rolling over all the time and to show them the error of their ways in full.

Yes, you cant expect perfection immediately and it's obvious that decades of integration weren't going to lead to a harmonious or easy seperation.

I absolutely agree about taking a firm stance where necessary but it's early days and we have done so on a few things already, such as the outright refusal to give EU ambassadors diplomatic status or the thumbed-nose of entering a shares trading deal with the Swiss.

If you ask me the EU, if just left to it, can do an excellent job of showing the world just why we in the UK might have to take appropriate retalliatory action.
I don't for one mad moment think that the vaccine fiasco will be their only b@lls-up.
As we know, there are a few other areas of concern that have similar potential for EU embarassment.
I would rather savour those moments than see the UK rush into action before the EU drops itself in the doo-doo.
Softly, softly catchee monkey.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 08:21 PM

I agree Barry also buy British, make do and eat more fish.

There was an item on the radio about a fishing boat which couldn't export their fish to the EU , they put the word out locally and had people coming from 20 miles away to buy their catch and made more money than when they export.
They intend to carry on doing this something that was the norm years ago .

We had a fish van here on Thursdays that came from Hull and it used to sell out in no time. Sadly C19 prevented him from traveling here.

Time to be inventive and suppliers/growers to look for other markets.
Soon spring will be here with the local produce , the EU can keep theirs then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Barry also buy British, make do and eat more fish.

There was an item on the radio about a fishing boat which couldn't export their fish to the EU , they put the word out locally and had people coming from 20 miles away to buy their catch and made more money than when they export.
They intend to carry on doing this something that was the norm years ago .

We had a fish van here on Thursdays that came from Hull and it used to sell out in no time. Sadly C19 prevented him from traveling here.

Time to be inventive and suppliers/growers to look for other markets.
Soon spring will be here with the local produce , the EU can keep theirs then.
Excellent. This should be published widely so that other fishing organisations be aware of that idea.

Marge and I already eat a lot of fish and always have done so. If we knew exactly where to obtain such British-caught fish, we'd certainly use them exclusively.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 09:00 PM

Here is a good start

https://www.farminguk.com/news/tesco...ing_57579.html
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Here is a good start

https://www.farminguk.com/news/tesco...ing_57579.html
Yes, very encouraging.

If only everyone in this country - producers, distributors, sellers and consumers (though never remoaners of course) could just pull together for the common good.

I'm sure we could be far more self sufficient and need to rely far less, or perhaps not at all, on the EU exporters.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top