Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 10:45 PM

Re: We have been run over.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, very encouraging.

If only everyone in this country - producers, distributors, sellers and consumers (though never remoaners of course) could just pull together for the common good.

I'm sure we could be far more self sufficient and need to rely far less, or perhaps not at all, on the EU exporters.
Exactly JBR !!!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 09:55 AM

Hi

We cannot supply ourselves, we have had 40 years of buying in cheaply.

There is more we can do and we should all do what we can.

I source most of my food locally, British Meat and fish, not Irish meat or Danish baon.

I grow most of my own veg and herbs, there are some I have to buy.

British manufactured goods are hard to find however.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We cannot supply ourselves, we have had 40 years of buying in cheaply.

There is more we can do and we should all do what we can.

I source most of my food locally, British Meat and fish, not Irish meat or Danish baon.

I grow most of my own veg and herbs, there are some I have to buy.

British manufactured goods are hard to find however.
Impossible in some cases. My microwave gave up the other week so I looked for a replacement made in the UK, there appeared to be none. Many are made in China, the closest I could get to anything from the UK were two brands indicated as assembled in the UK. That is not made in the UK so that's just one product where it seems impossible to back the UK and 'Buy British'.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Impossible in some cases. My microwave gave up the other week so I looked for a replacement made in the UK, there appeared to be none. Many are made in China, the closest I could get to anything from the UK were two brands indicated as assembled in the UK. That is not made in the UK so that's just one product where it seems impossible to back the UK and 'Buy British'.
Many years ago 1980's I went to buy a new fridge and asked for a British one.. I was told I could have British company but made abroad so the profit ended up in the UK or I could have forgien named one but made in the UK, so paying UK workers..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Many years ago 1980's I went to buy a new fridge and asked for a British one.. I was told I could have British company but made abroad so the profit ended up in the UK or I could have forgien named one but made in the UK, so paying UK workers..
When shopping online the only way to find answers to those kinds of questions is to look at the information provided online about the products, then do your own research. The brands assembled in the UK were, I assumed, assembled from parts made abroad. That was probably paying UK workers but while also making profits that did not remain in the UK, only allowing more of this 'takeover of UK industry', as it once was, to continue.

Why cannot the complete product be made and assembled in the UK? Could it perhaps be that too much profit is always expected and the only way to achieve this is to use foreign labour that is so cheap?

That I believe is why companies such as Dyson and many others relocate abroad, it's all related to that same old problem – greed, and in so many ways too!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Excellent. This should be published widely so that other fishing organisations be aware of that idea.

Marge and I already eat a lot of fish and always have done so. If we knew exactly where to obtain such British-caught fish, we'd certainly use them exclusively.
Ditto.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
When shopping online the only way to find answers to those kinds of questions is to look at the information provided online about the products, then do your own research. The brands assembled in the UK were, I assumed, assembled from parts made abroad. That was probably paying UK workers but while also making profits that did not remain in the UK, only allowing more of this 'takeover of UK industry', as it once was, to continue.

Why cannot the complete product be made and assembled in the UK? Could it perhaps be that too much profit is always expected and the only way to achieve this is to use foreign labour that is so cheap?

That I believe is why companies such as Dyson and many others relocate abroad, it's all related to that same old problem – greed, and in so many ways too!
And would be environmentally friendly.

According to research conducted by the World Shipping Council, on average 1,390 shipping containers are lost at sea each year, whilst in 2019 there were approximately 16,000 lost cargo containers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Therein lies the problem.
Workers are cheap in third world countries. British workers can no longer compete as they demand higher pay.

We bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner because that is a British company - British designers and owners, but made in the far east to save money and sell (relatively) cheaper.

I'm afraid that the days of buying all-British manufactured goods are coming to an end.

A shame really, as the Germans seem able to manufacture excellent cars, made in Germany, even though they pay their workers a very competitive salary.

We should do that, concentrating on high quality goods which can still compete with the Far East, but are attractive to the buyer due to their excellent quality.

Will we?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:32 PM

Therein lies the problem.
Workers are cheap in third world countries. British workers can no longer compete as they demand higher pay.

We bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner because that is a British company - British designers and owners, but made in the far east to save money and sell (relatively) cheaper.

I'm afraid that the days of buying all-British manufactured goods are coming to an end.

A shame really, as the Germans seem able to manufacture excellent cars, made in Germany, even though they pay their workers a very competitive salary.

We should do that, concentrating on high quality goods which can still compete with the Far East, but are attractive to the buyer due to their excellent quality.

Will we?
That wage difference is less stark now than it used to be and of course Chinese wages continue to rise.
The number of middle-class and wealthy Chinese rises with it - did you know that by next year it is said that there will be over 56 million Chinese with liquid assets of over $50,000!
That's equivalent to very nearly the entire population of England, each with $50K or more burning a hole!

Other countries "poorer" are catching up too.

I absolutely agree that we should concentrate on high-quality goods, as we have an enviable record in doing so and we retain the ability in many areas.

I don't see all British-manufactured goods coming to an end; we've had decades of decline.
I see the opposite with a resurgence in the offing.
Or the potential for that, at least; the appetite is certainly there and now we will see who grasps the opportunities.

But I must disagree about German cars; they certainly aren't what they once were and the quality certainly isn't normally premium any more, with the South Koreans easily matching in that area for just one example.
Tesla has proven that quality isn't necessarily a prime consideration.

In fact it's here in the UK that true excellence in quality of cars is evident as well as historic, although sadly most of the prestigious marques are now owned by others.
As for productivity, Nissan's Sunderland plant has led Europe's productivity league for making cars for years.

Whatever the future holds, we're at a crossroads.
Which direction we head from here is down to us.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
That wage difference is less stark now than it used to be and of course Chinese wages continue to rise.
The number of middle-class and wealthy Chinese rises with it - did you know that by next year it is said that there will be over 56 million Chinese with liquid assets of over $50,000!
That's equivalent to very nearly the entire population of England, each with $50K or more burning a hole!

Other countries "poorer" are catching up too.

I absolutely agree that we should concentrate on high-quality goods, as we have an enviable record in doing so and we retain the ability in many areas.

I don't see all British-manufactured goods coming to an end; we've had decades of decline.
I see the opposite with a resurgence in the offing.
Or the potential for that, at least; the appetite is certainly there and now we will see who grasps the opportunities.

But I must disagree about German cars; they certainly aren't what they once were and the quality certainly isn't normally premium any more, with the South Koreans easily matching in that area for just one example.
Tesla has proven that quality isn't necessarily a prime consideration.

In fact it's here in the UK that true excellence in quality of cars is evident as well as historic, although sadly most of the prestigious marques are now owned by others.
As for productivity, Nissan's Sunderland plant has led Europe's productivity league for making cars for years.

Whatever the future holds, we're at a crossroads.
Which direction we head from here is down to us.

Totally agree about German cars. My E Class was garbage it was absolute crap. I had it from new and after I had done about 60,000 miles it went and I got a discovery. That was great until it got to about 3 years old so that went as well and I ran a Vauxhall Vector that cost about £3000 for 3 years problem free.

I don't have a big posh car now because Ford's and Vauxhalls are just as good. Mrs Bread has a new Mitsubish SUV and that's brilliant.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top