Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:06 PM

Re: Good News

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Then we can tear up the crap trade deal.

https://foxhole.news/2021/02/16/barn...axes-eu-rules/
And the invoice for membership fees. !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:09 PM

The EU haven't signed our crap trade deal yet anyway and to top it off I just got a £67 import tarrif bill for my new pedalboard that cost £194. Its from Germany from Thomann

What a crap deal.... it gets worse although I suspect it could be to do with rules of origin
Probably all made in China anyway !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:13 PM

For those who don't support UK business and instead prefer to buy from outside the UK there's an official page to help with such things:
https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Probably all made in China anyway !!

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗

Just done some digging ...

I've been charged 20% VAT by the look of it (£33 ish) but the sales price on the order didn't include this extra UK VAT charge in the total price (although it includes the German VAT amount).

When I looked around, the same board here is advertised from UK outlets for about £199 but from Germany it's advertised as £194 with free shipping, so even though its only a fiver in savings, thats why I bought it.

Here is the kicker ... UPS are charging a 20% "handling fee" - so that's another £33 going to them so in total my board is 40% more expensive from Germany.

I've got my accountant on the case so I'll see what he says, although this looks like a monumental cock-up somewhere because VAT charging and rates haven't changed since we left the EU (except pubs and restaurants which have a new 5% rate but thats because of COVID not Brexit).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:42 PM

Hi

It is the UK Government who are collecting the VAT, not the EU.

The paperwork is also costly
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Just done some digging ...

I've been charged 20% VAT by the look of it (£33 ish) but the sales price on the order didn't include this extra UK VAT charge in the total price (although it includes the German VAT amount).

When I looked around, the same board here is advertised from UK outlets for about £199 but from Germany it's advertised as £194 with free shipping, so even though its only a fiver in savings, thats why I bought it.

Here is the kicker ... UPS are charging a 20% "handling fee" - so that's another £33 going to them so in total my board is 40% more expensive from Germany.

I've got my accountant on the case so I'll see what he says, although this looks like a monumental cock-up somewhere because VAT charging and rates haven't changed since we left the EU (except pubs and restaurants which have a new 5% rate but thats because of COVID not Brexit).
That's what you get if you don't do your homework before buying from outside the UK.
The simple answer is to support British business.

I've already posted the government's guidance but the UK media has published lots of warnings about charges and about couriers charging various fees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55752541

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...a-customs-duty

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/02...-need-to-know/
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is the UK Government who are collecting the VAT, not the EU.

The paperwork is also costly
Yes, which means that the UK's coffers do not miss out any more.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 03:35 PM

I've managed to reject the delivery through the UPS Portal.

I'll stick with my old pedaltrain anyway. I think I could squeeze my new pedal in somewhere if I move some stuff around.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top