Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 01:28 PM

Meanwhile at Honda ...

Thousands of jobs are set to be saved at a car manufacturing plant in Swindon, after US firm Panattoni announced today it would buy the 370-acre site from Honda in a deal worth £700 million
... well, fancy that !

https://order-order.com/2021/03/26/t...despitebrexit/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 04:06 PM

Re: Meanwhile at Honda ...

After the Covid vaccine rollout farce in the EU, perhaps large manufactures and major companies have come to see how incompetent the EU actually are?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2021, 04:16 PM

I though panatonni was an Italian sweet bread made for the Christmas market. what do I know?

https://www.panattoni.com/

It looks like this company redevelops brown field sites into warehouses, offices, etc.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
... well, fancy that !

I think you are getting a bit overexcited, Honda ceases production in July 2021 and Pantoni takes over the site in Spring 2022 and will redevelop the site for local businesses.

Not really much of a good news story more a clutching at straws story because there are no details of what will happen to the site after it once again passes into foreign ownership. Is this what the Brexit Forum has become? How about some real news?

http://www.panattonieurope.com/en/co...s-new-owner-f/
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 07:38 AM

There is no such thing as Real News!!!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think you are getting a bit overexcited, Honda ceases production in July 2021 and Pantoni takes over the site in Spring 2022 and will redevelop the site for local businesses.

Not really much of a good news story more a clutching at straws story because there are no details of what will happen to the site after it once again passes into foreign ownership. Is this what the Brexit Forum has become? How about some real news?

http://www.panattonieurope.com/en/co...s-new-owner-f/
Big logistics companies don't invest £700 million for no reason at all Bruce.

Hondas closure had nothing to do with Brexit either. This is yet more foreign investment into the UK and that's always a good thing. Big logistics companies are key to JIT manufacturing and supply chains. Just think about that
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 11:33 AM

Big logistics companies don't invest £700 million for no reason at all Bruce.

Hondas closure had nothing to do with Brexit either. This is yet more foreign investment into the UK and that's always a good thing. Big logistics companies are key to JIT manufacturing and supply chains. Just think about that
I am not saying anything about Brexit, it is over what I am saying is that it is not a good news story. It is a cheap takeover and you are right, companies don't invest £700million for nothing

Industrial land in the south of England is worth approximately £1882/sq m - this land is 370 acres

1882 x 4046 x 370 = £2817Million

Not bad for an investment of £700million even if my figures are 2018 values. No need to do anything with the land, no need to manufacture anything just break it up into smaller lots, sell it off and take the profit to the USA. That's what investment companies do especially with low interest rates they'll probably pay no tax either.

The vultures are circling.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

27-03-2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not saying anything about Brexit, it is over what I am saying is that it is not a good news story. It is a cheap takeover and you are right, companies don't invest £700million for nothing

Industrial land in the south of England is worth approximately £1882/sq m - this land is 370 acres

1882 x 4046 x 370 = £2817Million

Not bad for an investment of £700million even if my figures are 2018 values. No need to do anything with the land, no need to manufacture anything just break it up into smaller lots, sell it off and take the profit to the USA. That's what investment companies do especially with low interest rates they'll probably pay no tax either.

The vultures are circling.

It's not a cheap takeover at all. Honda will still be Honda.

I don't think you should choose a career in real estate either. If Honda thought it was worth that much they would have done it themselves.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2021, 09:38 PM

... well, fancy that !

So do you think all those skilled car industry workers will be overjoyed at losing their stimulating and reasonably paid jobs only to look forward to the opportunity to become warehouse pickers for Amazon, TK Max or companies of a similar ilk?

Looking at it another way, we have lost an export earning business for businesses that in the main rely heavily on imports thus increasing our balance of trade deficit. Doesn’t sound like the promised sunlit uplands.

It seems that your post is analogous to celebrating losing a pound and finding 50p
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

27-03-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
So do you think all those skilled car industry workers will be overjoyed at losing their stimulating and reasonably paid jobs only to look forward to the opportunity to become warehouse pickers for Amazon, TK Max or companies of a similar ilk?

Looking at it another way, we have lost an export earning business for businesses that in the main rely heavily on imports thus increasing our balance of trade deficit. Doesn’t sound like the promised sunlit uplands.

It seems that your post is analogous to celebrating losing a pound and finding 50p

Do you think the Honda plant was to do with Brexit ? It was closing anyway, but you think bringing in 700 million worth of foreign investment is a bad idea.

I'm not following your logic ...

Besides, logistics companies export and import ... and also deliver domestically. Investing 700 million into the UK is because there is a demand for it, its a reflection of how they see the future of our economy too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top