Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:13 PM

The Union Jack and football games....

I just thought this may be an interesting (topical) discussion today. They have been showing clips of the 1966 victory on the news. Bobby Charlton looking ecstatic and the Queen handing the trophy to him. Prince Philp looking delighted at the side.

But what struck me in these clips is how behind them there is a sea of Union Jacks being waved. Not a single England flag at all.

I remember the Silver Jubilee in 1977. We had to make hats at school (all with union Jacks). There were tea parties held in the streets with Union Jack bunting. Union Jacks were everywhere.

So what has happened in the last 50 years to change that?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 04:00 PM

Re: The Union Jack and football games....

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I just thought this may be an interesting (topical) discussion today. They have been showing clips of the 1966 victory on the news. Bobby Charlton looking ecstatic and the Queen handing the trophy to him. Prince Philp looking delighted at the side.

But what struck me in these clips is how behind them there is a sea of Union Jacks being waved. Not a single England flag at all.

I remember the Silver Jubilee in 1977. We had to make hats at school (all with union Jacks). There were tea parties held in the streets with Union Jack bunting. Union Jacks were everywhere.

As we've seen, over the years, the are no Flags of England, as far as the BBC is concerned.

It was, however, Broadcast in Black & White, so maybe that's a useful excuse!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 04:09 PM

The clips they are showing are in colour.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 04:15 PM

The reason is that 1966 was before Blair broke Britain.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 04:36 PM

From the information I could find online there's a lot of controversy about the Union Flag even down to when it should be called a Union Jack rather than a Union Flag. There's even more information on all aspects of the Union Flag, how it came into being, how it should be flown etc. All very interesting, yet another subject to learn about :

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/culture-se...LZg6cuAasjFftc

How the Union Flag should be flown (apparently it's reckoned 45% of the public don't know):

https://www.goodto.com/family/which-...ck-flag-542496

There is a massive amount of information on Wikipedia, however I cannot find very much that indicates why the Union Jack is seen less nowadays, especially not at football matches:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Finally, a link that gives more information about how the Union Jack evolved. That includes the comments below as to perhaps why Brexit may have accelerated how a 'taken-for-grantedness' about the flag has been lost:

“What Britain has lost is a sort of taken-for-grantedness about the flag, and Brexit has accelerated that,” says Duncan Morrow, professor of politics at Ulster University in Belfast …”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...d-ireland-fray
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

Devolution Annie !!
The road to balkanisation !!

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top