Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Motor Neurone Disease

As many of you know from recent posts, my husband has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. Over the decades it has been known as other things but the UK have settled on MND although the US use ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) It is also called Lou Gehrig's disease in the United States after a well known NFL player.

Since about the 18th August this year people have been taking part in the #icebucketchallenge and raising money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. During this time we have seen great moments which have made us smile and heard stories which have made us weep, this story is one in 2.5 million.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...2013-191-0-0-0

On the one hand I am grateful for all the money and awareness that has been raised for this terrible killer but on the other saddened by so many stories of loss.

We must find a cure for this disease. We must make the lives of those who are suffering because of it comfortable, but most of all we must make this killer known because it can hit any family, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Even if you don't drink, don't smoke and exercise everyday it can just happen.

My husband is 51. We had plans for our future, we have both worked hard all of our lives but luckily we also enjoyed our lives too seeing much of the world but those years when we were supposed to be work and worry free they will not happen and each day I know this.

Please don't think I am wallowing in self pity, I am not nor is my amazing husband, he is busy everyday trying to come up with something to assist people who cannot speak, something that will make them able to be understood. No, we are not sorry for ourselves, just glad that at last MND is coming out of the closet.

To find out more about the Motor Neurone Disease Association and the fabulous ice bucket challenge see

http://www.mndassociation.org/. or MND Association on Facebook.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Re: Motor Neurone Disease

You've done right Cate - we should all be made aware ....
You are both an inspiration too - its a difficult situation to say the least but you are doing the best you can - you will get those 'down' days for sure but hopefully you will find something through the haze to lift your spirits
In our thoughts everyday .......x
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Thank you Patsy. I know you have your own challenges and it is quite remarkable how you always manage to show support for those of us who need it. You are in my thoughts too Patsy as a very positive friend.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 04:45 PM

I'm filling up gal and that's the truth, need to get my composure back in line, thanks for those lovely words, means a lot to me xx
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 05:21 PM

I'm filling up reading both posts. You are all inspirations. Life can be so cruel and yet you both, and your partners, carry on as normal as you can.

My heart goes out to you, but at the time time I am in awe of your strength, CC and Patsy and family. xx
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

21-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Thanks Alice you are a sweetheart
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 06:44 PM

It's a cruel illness Kate, my very best wishes to you both.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 07:25 PM

Cate, your story is a beautiful testimony of love and courage, You are a courageous lady and an inspiration to many.

Wishing both you and Hubs continued strength in your battle ... xx
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

21-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks Plantman and Mags your warm words are appreciated
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2014, 11:10 PM

Sending hugs (as always) to you Cate and of course to Keith

My daughter and her friends are taking up the challenge so I'll be donating

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top