Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Some good news

I had some news to cheer me up today.

2 or 3 weeks ago, the doc gave me a BP monitor to wear for 24 hrs. I didn't think it was registering right, but she wouldn't accept that. The end result was that my BP was bad enough to warrant beta-clockers she said.

I wasn't convinced, but knowing next to nothing about beta-blockers I started a bit of homework for myself.
First I bought myself a decent home BP monitor. I took readings 2 or 3 times a day at different times for the next 10 days, and recorded every reading. The results were very different from the doctors machine.

Today I was due to go back to the GP and also have an ECG beforehand. The test was complete, and I waited to see the doc (50 mins)!
She asked how I was getting on with the tablets and I told her I hadn't started them, and explained about my little experiment. I took the monitor with me to show her which make I had bought and that it was clinically calibrated properly. I then produced the results which I had typed out for her, and also showed her the ECG results.
She then went on to check a load of blood test results she had ordered.

Eventually she looked at me, smiled, and said "Congratulations,
you're a perfectly healthy person".

I did not need the medication after all. Was I over the moon!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Re: Some good news

I suffer from white coat syndrome,my BP goes sky high at the GPs or Hospital, when self monitoring its a different story.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 09:51 PM

It's not good though is it Nom, when we can be given medication that is not needed, and would no doubt, at some point in the future cause other problems.
I had been quite worried until I started monitoring myself, because I lost my Dad through heart problems, and his Dad before him went the same way, so I was extra happy to know I was fine.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 10:48 PM

As you say Mups - It's really not good enough. Most people would not have had your good sense. To be honest I'm not sure I would have.
You did well and have every reason to be pleased with yourself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 10:57 PM

Well done Mups I bought myself a meter to check my own BP too having had a similar experience with my doctor .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's not good though is it Nom, when we can be given medication that is not needed, and would no doubt, at some point in the future cause other problems.
I had been quite worried until I started monitoring myself, because I lost my Dad through heart problems, and his Dad before him went the same way, so I was extra happy to know I was fine.
Well done Mups ! So pleased for you x
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 09:13 AM

I have been there-24 hour monitors are stressful+white coat syndrome.

In the end even my monitor was going high though so now take a cocktail of tablets. So lets think-BP tabs taken,Cholesterol tab taken Type 2 diabetes tabs taken atrial fibrillation-tabs taken.

Decent red wine on prescription?-may have to discuss that at next review
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Pleased for you Mups

I got my bp taken last week and was told I had the bp of an athlete. Pity I didn't have the body of one
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-10-2014, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=alice76;541188]Pleased for you Mups

I got my bp taken last week and was told I had the bp of an athlete. Pity I didn't have the body of one [/QUOTE]

I like that Alice

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top