Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Bad News

We have had the kind of 'phone call just now that I know a lot of people dread.

An old friend of my wife's has just rung and mentioned that her breast cancer has returned - with a vengeance - and the prognosis isn't great, the lady concerned is still very upbeat.

She had a mastectomy two years ago and had recently gone for an appraisal for reconstruction surgery when this lump was discovered, plus the spreading through to other areas.

Lyn and her husband are old friends to both of us now, which is why this is pretty hard for us.

I had a premonition about three weeks ago and told my wife about it but, as you do, we thought it just one of those things.

It's not and I'm really wishing I'm completely wrong on this.

I can't pray to a God 'cos I don't believe in one but I pray that I'm wrong and she'll recover again. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Re: Bad News

You can only give out positive thoughts Steve, but I do believe if its 'time' it is .... In your shoes - I would persist with positive thoughts for her strength through it and for you, I wish you strength and a positive nature to help her through this journey .......
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 05:51 PM

I don't think you are alone Steve I have been in that situation,several times now .it don't get any easier .not a lot you can do other than offer support if and when they need it .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Steve, one of my dear pals has terminal cancer and is carrying on her life as normal. She's mad as a hatter and is full of fun and I'm in awe of her. It's never something you want to hear, but isn't it inspiring when the sufferers just try and carry on as normal? All you can do is be there for them and not treat them any different.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 09:20 AM

Sad news for all Steve. I hope your friend keeps on going for years.
Having just had my first op for breast cancer a few months ago I
was told I could have five years to 20.
My attitude to that was I am not going to get it back but if I do I
will still be the happy, jokey person I have always been. Plus that
no one knows when you are going to pass over. So live whilst you
can and I also feel if its your time to go you do. Shame I know but
good luck to your friend and as mentioned give her the support she
might need or ask for.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Steve, one of my dear pals has terminal cancer and is carrying on her life as normal. She's mad as a hatter and is full of fun and I'm in awe of her. It's never something you want to hear, but isn't it inspiring when the sufferers just try and carry on as normal? All you can do is be there for them and not treat them any different.
We have already had the intense stress that comes with cancer as my wife's sister died from Cancer some time ago.

She carried on as normal and everyone around her did the same as it's what she wanted.
"I'm not an invalid you know!" she told everyone who'd listen and she was great but then one day she got a headache that she couldn't shake off and eventually went into a coma.

She never regained consciousness but an hour before she went we were with her in the London hospital room and my wife was talking to her and she squeezed her hand, not much of an indication but it was there and we both knew it was a goodbye.

Our friend Lyn's in Norfolk, quite a way from us, so it's going to be hard doing all the chatting over the 'phone as my wife's very badly affected as she's known Lyn for many, many years. stevmk2
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Steve it is not easy to hear that one of our friends has got cancer especially when they have survived it once.

The most you can do is be there for them again and offer any support that you can.

My brother died in February from cancer after a short illness. We had booked to go and see him at the end of January and he rang trying to put us off, I knew what he was doing and said I was still going to see him. I am glad that I did as he died the following week.

Sending you all the best Shirley

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top