Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 02:32 PM

PEFR Test

Last Wednesday I had a Peak Expiratory Flow Rate test at my surgery after I asked for an update.

What you do is blow as hard as you can into a hand-held monitor and I had my last test about two years ago, shortly after I'd had a major asthma attack.

At that time it was something like 22% which was very poor so, as I've given up smoking and find I hardly need Ventolin at all now, I asked for a test again.

I did this test three times and was actually a bit disappointed as the nurse said I was 45% now - I thought I'd be a bit better than that because I don't get out of breath all the time now.

I'm booked-in now for the full test on a Spirometer but I've tried to work out what it means - 45% - but it's far too complicated for the layman and the nurse herself said she wasn't much better than me and I'm older than her by 15 years and she's never smoked she says!

I'll just have to wait now for the full test and results but I only had a chest X-ray last year plus a lot of other tests so I won't need all those too.

I suppose I'm being paranoiac but my Dad's health went down considerable at 63 - the age I am now - and he had given up smoking too.

The things that you think about as you get older eh?!! stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Re: PEFR Test

Steve I take a steroid inhalor twice a day. Use my blue inhalor when I need it. I've a check up at the asthma clinic at the beginning of November and it can't come quick enough. I've been known recently to have to use my blue inhalor during the night. Not a good sign. Flippin eck, I've only had asthma for the last few years!! I have not always had it. I fully expect to be referred to hospital, which I'll be happy enough with. I can walk for miles on the flat, swim for miles without getting breathless, but put me up an incline or hill then I'm puffing and panting like mad and it's so uncomfortable.

As my mum says, old age doesn't come itself...........
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 08:15 PM

You wouldn’t want to dwell too much on getting older Steve it’s a hard fact we all have to face, if you do you will imagine all sorts of things going wrong, this in turn will cause you stress and that helps nobody, look on the bright side, 45% is a lot better than 22%. relax and stop worrying.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Don't sweat about it Steve. They never tell me my peak flow result - always say 'sit quietly then try again' but it usually gets worse then! Started with what was then called bronchitis at 6 months old, parents smoked 60 a day, spent whole terms off school having penicillin injections in my bum, coughing up thick ropelike green phlegm (sorry) when I could shift it, thinking I was going to peg out all the time. Couldn't get up hills. There were no inhalers. I was convinced it would've weakened my heart. No inhalers then. When they came out, I lived on ventolin. Now I use the purple steroid/ventolin combo, but I'm told they're being phased out due to cost. But the good news is that it does improve - I walk faster than my friends now, though the 96 year old could have lapped me at one point, and the combination of inhalers regime and gentle build-up of exercise have done wonders.

Giving up smoking was the best thing you could have done - all my family have died from smoking-related illnesses, some tragically young - it will take time but you will get there, and like Jem says, stress is the worse thing, has traumatic effect on breathing - chill out, don't focus on the tests, go on how you feel, lots of walking in fresh air - you'll be fine.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
Don't sweat about it Steve. They never tell me my peak flow result - always say 'sit quietly then try again' but it usually gets worse then! Started with what was then called bronchitis at 6 months old, parents smoked 60 a day, spent whole terms off school having penicillin injections in my bum, coughing up thick ropelike green phlegm (sorry) when I could shift it, thinking I was going to peg out all the time. Couldn't get up hills. There were no inhalers. I was convinced it would've weakened my heart. No inhalers then. When they came out, I lived on ventolin. Now I use the purple steroid/ventolin combo, but I'm told they're being phased out due to cost. But the good news is that it does improve - I walk faster than my friends now, though the 96 year old could have lapped me at one point, and the combination of inhalers regime and gentle build-up of exercise have done wonders.

Giving up smoking was the best thing you could have done - all my family have died from smoking-related illnesses, some tragically young - it will take time but you will get there, and like Jem says, stress is the worse thing, has traumatic effect on breathing - chill out, don't focus on the tests, go on how you feel, lots of walking in fresh air - you'll be fine.
Thanks for that Rose and Jem of course!

It's the disappointment really but you are right, it'll take time and the nurse did say that to me - it must have showed on my face!

If I'm not out working in the garden at work we're out and about at weekends, walking everywhere because we enjoy it.
It doesn't cost you anything and it's good for you too!

Besides, all the ducks, swans and moor hens on the canal would miss us! stevmk2
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:35 PM

PEFR Test - sort of a blow job?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top