Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 11:46 PM

Anaemia?

I visited my GP today for my routine blood results, all were normal but I have slight anaemia though she didn't stipulate which type, nor did she offer any advice in managing it so I called up my best friend, Google apparently I should be taking iron tablets but I'd like some advice on what strength to buy and if indeed they will help to clear up the anaemia, all help welcomed
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Re: Anaemia?

I would have thought she would have offered Iron tabs to you.
Saying that if you pay for your prescription it would be cheaper
to get some of your own from the shop.
I used to have them when I was younger. You might be best
getting a tablet with vitamins, minerals and iron in them. Just
take a months course and see how you feel like.
Saying that food gives you iron. Things like liver, lean beef,
pork, broccoli, kale, spinach, fish like tuna, salmon, nuts,
beans like kidney, soy, lentil. So you should be getting something
from that. If you do have a iron deficiency it can make you tired, lethargic and sometimes you can get a pain across your chest as though you are getting a heart attack. Although you are probably not. That's the worst scenario. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:20 AM

If it's hard-core anaemia Honey, which I had constantly pre the blessed change, the Dr will prescribe ferrous sulphate or ferrous gluconate cos you can't get enough from food or vits. Did she check ferritin levels too because you can have underlying anaemia from low stores which doesn't show up on the basic test. Sounds as if it's nothing too serious or Dr would have prescribed, but you could perhaps check with the surgery nurse as it may get worse.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:23 AM

I'm a blood platelet donor and was told vitamin C is needed to absorb iron into the system. Also drinking tea/coffee before/during/after a meal can inhibit iron absorbtion.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:26 AM

I'm sure if your anaemia needed treatment you would have been offered some Honey, sometimes there is a natural fluctuation in these levels and next time you have the test it will probably be fine.

Having said that if it were me I'd just ensure I was eating the right foods: Red meat is the richest source of iron. The iron in animal sources is absorbed easily by the body. There is also iron in pulses (such as lentils and beans), dried fruit, green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, and in fortified breakfast cereals.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:32 AM

I am very often anaemic and am prescribed iron tabs 3 times daily for a few months so presumably they're keeping an eye on yours in case it gets worse - do you have any symptoms? I usually do, extreme lethargy, sore tongue and cracked corners of mouth and breathless at times, too.
Think it's a female thing, mostly....

If you're at all concerned I would either go back or speak to the nurse, they're usually very helpful.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 11:42 AM

I know from past experience that iron tablets cause terrible constipation.
I solved this by taking desiccated liver tablets instead. Liver is a fine natural source of iron. Even better if you could eat liver several times a week as part of your diet.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 03:40 PM

I'm surprised you weren't prescribed something, but it's maybe because the doctor doesn't think it needs medication, which is good. I'd be tempted to each iron rich foods and see how it goes. Yes, iron tablets come with their own side effects. Try diet first I'd say. What are they like, doctors? They come out with something then leave you grappling in the dark.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm sure if your anaemia needed treatment you would have been offered some Honey, sometimes there is a natural fluctuation in these levels and next time you have the test it will probably be fine.
Very true plantman...and also anemia is not always due to iron deficiency.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 04:32 PM

My missus was anaemic since as long as I can remember, she used to take iron tablets but packed them in because of the constipation they caused her, she has a very rare type blood but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She's as right as rain now and her anaemia never caused any problems, she used to get a fainty feeling once or twice a year and have to sit down for a while but nothing serious, she never gets that feeling anymore now, maybe it just passes with the years?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top