Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Re: Anaemia?

Liver is a fine natural source of iron. Even better if you could eat liver several times a week as part of your diet.

Yes it is Carol but also high in vitamin A and too much is not good for you-maybe once a week?
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
she used to take iron tablets but packed them in because of the constipation they caused her,
This is what they always warn you about but they used to have just the opposite effect on me.Could be very embarrassing! And if I took them then had anything acidy like orange juice I'd be violently sick for a couple of days. On the other hand, it was bliss to have so much energy after 3 months on the regime after your legs feeling like lead beforehand
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:07 PM

thanks all!

I have a healthy diet eating lots of green veggies and fish but little red meat, I exercise by going for long walks most days if the weather permits.
My doctor was thrilled about my results and was saying how different I now look from when I first went to see her after my mum had passed away, I was at my lowest ebb and every day was hard to get through but she's helped me tremendously.
One of my main concerns was memory loss, I was dreading having tests that could have confirmed my suspicions, she had the NHS standard 30 questions to test for Alzheimer's and asked if I wanted to go ahead with it, I knew I had to because of my own concerns, thankfully I got them all right and it's a huge relief!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:56 PM

I think the advice to control iron levels through diet is good, post menopausal women only need half the iron of pre menopausal women. You could have too much iron in your diet if you took supplements.
Too much can have an adverse effect on the body and vital functions when you are older.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:59 PM

thanks Anita, I'll steer clear of supplements

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top