Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 05:27 PM

Just like riding a bike?

I have never ridden a bike. We don't have a car, and my husband rides his bike everywhere. The children learned when they were little. He has been on at me for years to learn. Now he's bought me a second hand, very good condition one which seems a good height (I'm 5' 4 and 1/2 - the 1/2 is important to me!) and I don't want to be too far from the ground, but my friend says you're safer and more balanced with bigger wheels. I've been watching Youtube how to do it videos and got him to take the wheels off so I can cruise down gentle slopes while getting used to it. But...

Anyway, I have no sense of balance, I'm scared and I feel like I'm too old (something I don't like saying about anything, but on this occasion...) The bike guy says he will buy it back next spring if I get nowhere. Anyone out there learnt at an advanced age - can it be done?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Re: Just like riding a bike?

I learned to swim when I was in my thirties and drive in my forties - but I never did learn how to ride a bike.
I did once have a go on my daughters bike. I rode it round our local park wobbling all over the place. I never bothered after that but I'm sure with a bit of patience it can be done.

Good luck.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 05:40 PM

I used to ride a bike ... and had a child seat on the back when the children were young.

I started riding a bike again when I was about 45 but never on roads ... only on cycle tracks ... I loved it

When my hips became too painful I had to give it up and since I've had both of them replaced I think I could ride a bike again but I can't get on and off !!!

I'm sure with some practice you will get the hang of it but if you are wobbly don't go near traffic
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 05:40 PM

Riding a bike and learning to swim a part of life`s histories-it just happened one day and one never forgets.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 05:56 PM

I did ride one when I was younger but where to ride one now is the question - have to be well away from roads, car drivers have no time for cyclists..
Give it a go, once you're confident I bet you'll love it!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
I have never ridden a bike. We don't have a car, and my husband rides his bike everywhere. The children learned when they were little. He has been on at me for years to learn. Now he's bought me a second hand, very good condition one which seems a good height (I'm 5' 4 and 1/2 - the 1/2 is important to me!) and I don't want to be too far from the ground, but my friend says you're safer and more balanced with bigger wheels.[B]I've been watching Youtube how to do it videos and got him to take the wheels off so I can cruise down gentle slopes while getting used to it. [/]But...

Anyway, I have no sense of balance, I'm scared and I feel like I'm too old (something I don't like saying about anything, but on this occasion...) The bike guy says he will buy it back next spring if I get nowhere. Anyone out there learnt at an advanced age - can it be done?
Im puzzled how you can ride a bike with out wheels!
I learnt to ride a bike when i was 25 , and it opened a door for me ,i didnt drive a car ,,so this was my life line in later years when i needed my own space ,I went miles by road and by canal path ,i so miss those summer days of cycling all over.,the sun on my face and the wind in my hair .
Go a head and learn to ride i wobbled the first few days but soon got my balance ,i dont recall falling off at any time ,,my children did but they were going far to fast down hill.
You will enjoy it im sure.

Edit to say i only gave up cycling about 4year ago .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Your friend is right bigger wheels are best to keep you steady.
I'd say you can do it Rosemary, but its all about confidence now - give it a go in a quiet place, see how confident you feel ......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 07:25 PM

I was never off my bike when young. i loved it. I'd love to go to a nearby island called Millport, where it's the done thing to hire a bike and ride round the island. I've walked round it many a time, about 8 miles, but I'm definitely going to cycle round it. It's on my list of things to do . Go for it, I say!
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Oh Eliza what a twit I am! It would be a magic trick if I could ride one without wheels wouldn't it? No, I got him to take the PEDALS off because that was the YouTube advice - that's just given us a good laugh though.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, and don't worry, I shall keep clear of roads - that's why it would be worth learning, there are so many cycle tracks here round parks etc not roads. I'm so afraid of falling off. But the next dry windless day, when noone's around to laugh at me, I'm going to give it a go!

(If I' m not typing rubbish myself, the blasted predictive text does it for me - it changes words too!)
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 03:01 PM

I would love to go for bikes but as we live slap in the middle of town with V busy roads it is out of the question BOO_HOO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top