Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Question for the ladies about menstrual cycles

At what age did your periods finally stop?

Last year, at 49, my periods started the wacky thing, becoming more and more irregular. Now, at 50, they're really starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes it will give me a whole month's break in between and sometimes only 2 weeks will pass before it starts again.

I really wish now that they would just stop. I'm tired of dealing with the heavy bleeding and the constant changing of pads (I can't use tampons because I bleed heavy and drop clots, I would be risking toxic shock). But I've done some reading and learned that this could go on another year or two before they come to and end?!?!

I honestly don't think I can take one or two more years of this.

So I wanted to ask, for those of you who have stopped menstruating, at what age did your periods stop and also how you feel about that? Are you loving it? Are you hating it? Have you felt better or worse physically since your periods ended? I'd appreciate any input.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Re: Question for the ladies about menstrual cycles

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
At what age did your periods finally stop?
Hello Linda it's so long ago I can't remember but it must have been in my mid 40's and they were replaced with hot flushes whiich lasted 10 years and were dreadful .

I refused HRT, to me it just postpones the side effects of menopause.

One hugely positive thing was the horrendous Migraines which I had experienced since my son was born disappeared like magic I can honestly say they ruled my life making me feel very ill and unable to function properly for a number of days each month.
Amazingly no Doctor ever suggested they could be hormone related.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Linda it's so long ago I can't remember but it must have been in my mid 40's and they were replaced with hot flushes whiich lasted 10 years and were dreadful .

I refused HRT, to me it just postpones the side effects of menopause.

One hugely positive thing was the horrendous Migraines which I had experienced since my son was born disappeared like magic I can honestly say they ruled my life making me feel very ill and unable to function properly for a number of days each month.
Amazingly no Doctor ever suggested they could be hormone related.
Yeah, the HRT thing scares me. I don't want to go that route. I just don't think that should be messed with.

Glad your migraines are gone. I have headaches too, but they're not too bad most of the time.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Heavy bleeding and clots isn't normal during menopause Linda,I had the same in My late 40s and it was caused by a large fibroid,I also had a very low blood-count and was rushed to hosp' to have a transfusion of 4 units of blood as I had lost so much,then a hysterectomy...Get Your Doc' to do a blood-count and take it from there...Good luck.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
Heavy bleeding and clots isn't normal during menopause Linda,I had the same in My late 40s and it was caused by a large fibroid,I also had a very low blood-count and was rushed to hosp' to have a transfusion of 4 units of blood as I had lost so much,then a hysterectomy...Get Your Doc' to do a blood-count and take it from there...Good luck.
While very true I have found unless you are in an emergency situation like you found yourself they just expect you to get on with it, sat here on a thick towel, several layers of sanitary protection life isn't much fun at the moment.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Stopped at around 44, like Meg no more horrendous headaches, but oh those hot flushes, can do without them !
Linda0818
USA

27-10-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
It hasn't been just during perimenopause (you're not considered fully menopausal until your periods have stopped for at least a year), it's normal for me. I've always been a heavy bleeder, especially after my son was born, and the clots.... those are a normal thing for me as well. I've asked my doctor about it and she doesn't seem too concerned.
Linda0818
USA

27-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Stopped at around 44, like Meg no more horrendous headaches, but oh those hot flushes, can do without them !
44! Oh you lucky woman, you.

I haven't had any hot flushes, at least not any that have bothered me too bad, but I guess the hot flushes come AFTER your period stops???
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
44! Oh you lucky woman, you.

I haven't had any hot flushes, at least not any that have bothered me too bad, but I guess the hot flushes come AFTER your period stops???
That's right - I sincerely hope you don't get them x
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:49 PM

I was 52/53 when they stopped. Heavy and irregular bleeding is fairly common in the lead up to the menopause because of the hormonal changes, I found this most troublesome at night. It can be due to fibroids but you may have other symptoms with that as well as anaemia.
They start heavy as you are going into the menopause and they get lighter just as you are coming to the actual menopause. You can have a period six months or a year after they seem to have stopped. You can have one out of the blue so best to carry things with you if going on holiday etc for a year or so after they stop.
When the periods stop it is good to not have all the hassle especially with the heavy periods that happen as the menopause approaches.
The only thing is I personally had a lot of other symptoms to do with the menopause, memory problems, anxiety and extreme tiredness, legs feeling like lead weights etc.
The hot flushes were and still are very bad more than 3 years after a period of any description, waking me up several times in the night and going on through the day .....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top