Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Re: Question for the ladies about menstrual cycles

My menopause started in my late 40's with hot flushes, tiredness and anxiety. After a couple of years I felt so low in myself that I saw my doctor (something I rarely do). She suggested I tried HRT and being at my wit's end with my health, I agreed. I stayed on it for 10 years and was so pleased that it had given me my life back.

However, as soon as I stopped the HRT my hot flushes came back with a vengeance and I felt worse than I had before. I thought after 10 years I would be well past the menopause ... but no, I had to suffer another couple of years. Of course my doctor never mentioned that part to me It has left me with almost sleepless nights which I just have to put up with.

We women just grin and bear it whilst men just don't understand what misery we go through at that time of our lives.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 04:08 PM

Well I didn't really go into the menopause as I was given HRT at 47 so missed it. I have been on it for 20 years now. I am having less now and
have one every week to wean myself off of them. I was also going to say that if you are bleeding and clotting as much it might be best to see a
Gynaecologist. Probably they would recommend a D and C. Sounds
like you might need one. Good luck as it does take a few years to get through the menopause.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Well I didn't really go into the menopause as I was given HRT at 47 so missed it. I have been on it for 20 years now. I am having less now and
have one every week to wean myself off of them. I was also going to say that if you are bleeding and clotting as much it might be best to see a
Gynaecologist. Probably they would recommend a D and C. Sounds
like you might need one. Good luck as it does take a few years to get through the menopause.
That's interesting Sandy, my doctor advised me to stay on HRT no longer than 10 years or before if the menopause period was over.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's interesting Sandy, my doctor advised me to stay on HRT no longer than 10 years or before if the menopause period was over.
Doctors usually advise that term Mags ....
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My menopause started in my late 40's with hot flushes, tiredness and anxiety. After a couple of years I felt so low in myself that I saw my doctor (something I rarely do). She suggested I tried HRT and being at my wit's end with my health, I agreed. I stayed on it for 10 years and was so pleased that it had given me my life back.

However, as soon as I stopped the HRT my hot flushes came back with a vengeance and I felt worse than I had before. I thought after 10 years I would be well past the menopause ... but no, I had to suffer another couple of years. Of course my doctor never mentioned that part to me It has left me with almost sleepless nights which I just have to put up with.

I suppose we are not always able to grin and bear it, like you I have been at my wits end with the symptoms, everything from anxiety and depression to being physically exhausted and having constant hot flushes. I tried 3 different types of HRT but if you haven't had a hysterectomy you have the sort with progesterone as well and that gives me really bad PMT symptoms which are pretty much the same as what you get with the menopause.
The hot flushes stopped which was great but I felt even more anxious and physically unwell as I used to when I had PMT. So the HRT had to stop and I have now been having hot flushes since 2001. The really bad ones where I am drenched with sweat have been going on for the past 4 - 5 years. I am woken up several times at night often just 10 minutes after going to sleep. My bedding is ruined from sweating and I'm constantly showering and changing.
I don't work now and although I'm an age where I could do but I am not sure how I would get through the day.
I take St John's Wort which helps with anxiety and I do feel it works. I take magnesium also which is supposed to help but really it just goes on and on with no sign of ending.
I remember my grandmother being the same, so I must have taken after her though my Mother took HRT following a hysterectomy and was ok when she came off it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 06:15 PM

I'd always had heavy, erratic periods, terrible cramps and suffered frequently from anaemia and so in my 40's was offered an endometrial resection. I had this done and never had another period, I sailed through the menopause with very few symptoms other than a few flushes - no idea if it had anything to do with it or I was just lucky but never needed to take anything, really.

I'd always had banging headaches and the anxiety thing too, but thankfully, they're a thing of the past - I am so serene these days...

I hope you find something that works for you, Linda0818, it's a pain and that's the truth!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 06:37 PM

If a male may comment I was lucky?. In the 26 years we were together I cannot ever remember Jenny ever getting `grumpy` and she seemed to sail through the menopause with no symptoms.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Jenny was very lucky, I was always in terrible pain, cramps and heavy bleeding and thick clots, had to use four towels at one time, nightmare.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 07:22 PM

I've been very fortunate. Although I was put into surgical menopause, I can't really say I've had any symptoms, other than at night. I rarely have the duvet over me. Maybe a sheet, but anything else would be too much. I'm so warm during the night. Other than that I've been lucky.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 09:14 PM

I was like you Suzie, had awful time at school then I would go to work on the train or bus and get through towels and tampons before I could get to the loo, this lasted ten days a month! I stared the menopause at 42 a year after my youngest was born, bleeding & clots got worse & worse until I couldn't walk across the room! Then it just stopped. Had a few hot flashes but nothing until I got on a plane which seemed to start it again (flying always used to bring periods on) probably why new towels have wings! Only had trouble since with two fibroids, but apart from having them removed which wasn't pleasant, I haven't had any trouble...touch wood! Now my middle daughter's going through things exactly as I did, all the girls in our family have been the same.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top