Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 02:58 PM

Visit to the Hospital Yesterday

I know we spoke about this subject last month, where we all told of our experiences of visiting a Doctor etc and how we felt about having an internal examination.

Well little did I realise that I would have to visit one again. I went to my own doctor last Friday as part of my three monthly visit after my bad fall last year. Whilst we were chatting I mentioned that I had a very bad bleed a couple of months ago which resembled my monthly period but seen as my periods had finished two years ago, it took me by surprise.

After answer a few questions she said that I would need to go for a scan to check what was going on, I then received a phone call from the hospital on Monday giving me an appointment for Tuesday, the next day.

I don't know about you but having to drink 2 pints of water and then holding on is not the best, but hey I managed it. I was quite happy seeing the X Ray lady until she told me to go to toilet and empty my bladder and then she would do the internal.

It went through my head oh ffs, not spelling that one out, she asked if I had been told I would be having this, to which I said no, but hey I needed to know what was going on, but when I got back, laid back on the bed and she lifted up what I can only describe as a big vibrator, I nearly started laughing. I must admit the experience was made bearable because she was a very nice lady and talked to me through the procedure and did not mind me asking questions.

I can safely say it was not enjoyable but not as bad as I remembered and as she said I would not be worried should I need to have the same again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Re: Visit to the Hospital Yesterday

Oh dear I think I know the instrument you mention, had that myself not long ago, mine was just a large fibroid nothing to worry about hope yours is something simple like that too.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 03:08 PM

I had that a few years ago for heavy blood loss ,and i too was taken back by what i saw . It seemed to go on for ever. ,she told me she could not find one of my Kidneys,i began to feel suspicious and uncomfortable by the process .
If i could have got up and walked away i would have done..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I had that a few years ago for heavy blood loss ,and i too was taken back by what i saw . It seemed to go on for ever. ,she told me she could not find one of my Kidneys,i began to feel suspicious and uncomfortable by the process .
If i could have got up and walked away i would have done..
Hard to do when they have you in that position though
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 03:15 PM

My lady was very very kind and helpful, she did say at the end of it that she could not find anything unusual to stop me worrying. But said I still have to see my doctor because of any other things that I may have to have done.

This was a great relief I have to say. I think again Eliza it depends on what part of the country you are in, I speak to my friend quite often who lives in Yorkshire and she has nothing but bad luck when it comes to doctors/hospitals.

I did say at one point oh I suppose I can open my eyes now, I had them tightly shut waiting for the pain, it was a big uncomfortable but nothing excessive.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 03:20 PM

It wasn't painful Shirley , it was the length of time it was taking.I began to watch her and she seemed far far away .
shirley
Gloucestershire

12-11-2014, 03:37 PM

Oh dear that was not good Eliza, that is when you lose faith and wonder do they know what they are doing.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Was it an ultra sound you were having? Sounds like it.
Over a decade ago I volunteered to find out about Ovarian
Cancer. They did a trial for 10 years. There were three options
which you had no choice of. One that I got was the ultra scan.
Its really something you just have to close your eyes for and
hope it comes up with nothing wrong. Hope everything is good for
you and I think its great that they now are stepping up the waiting
times if someone presents problems with their body.
Just think even a few years ago people had to wait years sometimes
to be seen and by that time they were dead. So fingers crossed
you are OK, prayers are with you Shirley, God bless.
shirley
Gloucestershire

12-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Thank you BowieEyes yes as you say the waiting list used to be quite long before you got to see anyone. Do you think it is the times we now live in that they are having to rush to get people seen just in case.

I know even 7 years ago when I went to the doctor with pains in my stomach they did find something but from the time the doctor requested the scan, the hospital got in touch and then you got back in to see your doctor a long time had elapsed.

Luckily this time only a couple of days have elapsed.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 11:33 PM

Oh the indignities we have to endure! Hope everything turns out OK Shirley x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top