Join for free
Page 4 of 38 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Re: Breast feeding in public

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Yesterday my childless wife and I sat having a decent meal which was only ruined by three brats of kids running around and screaming high pitch as loud as possible while the mothers sat yakking ignoring them (despite a very large play area being available), so for me give me a car any-day

Now that did offend me , unlike the subject matter.
That's a whole new thread - parents letting their children run amoke whilst ignoring them is the height of ignorance. Don't get me started on that one
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Well all I'm saying on this old subject is, if by a miracle I was breastfeeding, it would ME that would feel embarrassed about whipping my boobs out in public, I wouldn't want everyone staring at me and judging whether I'm right or wrong. I'd much sooner find somewhere peaceful and more private if possible, where me and my baby could do what we want at our leisure without an audience gawping.

And yes, I also find noisy, badly behaved kids running round dinner tables (or even noisy sitting at a table), intensely irritating and ignorant.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well all I'm saying on this old subject is, if by a miracle I was breastfeeding, it would ME that would feel embarrassed about whipping my boobs out in public, I wouldn't want everyone staring at me and judging whether I'm right or wrong. I'd much sooner find somewhere peaceful and more private if possible, where me and my baby could do what we want at our leisure without an audience gawping.

And yes, I also find noisy, badly behaved kids running round dinner tables (or even noisy sitting at a table), intensely irritating and ignorant.
Yes me too Mups and I would have imagined it was easier in a quiet private place it is after all not just feeding, it should be bonding and loving time too.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Fair enough. The ones I cannot stand are those who do it while sitting in restaurants, trains, buses, parks etc., in full public view. It is so unnecessary. All it needs is for milk to be expressed and carried in a bottle.
I agree.
In this case I'd say if the guy was brave/foolish enough to post a picture of the nursing mother online and criticise her he probably expected to get some comeback.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 02:13 PM

being a woman had my sons ...... i never breast fed at all -my choice , but have to say why dont thee women express milk befor travelling out' into a feed bottle first ,then all gets relaxed ,most caf'e or food dept would warm it ..and as myra said clothing is out now for breast feeding in public -seems sometimes a lot of ladies seem to make a bigger issue over it than it really becomes ........and my answer to it is no i wouldnt breast feed mine in public .
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:03 PM

I'm with Toffee on this. Why don't they bottle up their milk beforehand? I can't help thinking some of this public breast feeding's done to make a point, or draw attention or something - otherwise, giving a bottle would be no problem anywhere.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:33 PM

I just don't understand why people in this day and age still have hang ups about women breast feeding in public.
Where is the logic behind going through the painful procedure of using a breast pump/ putting milk in a bottle/ sterilising bottles / keeping milk cool/heating it up again when you have a fresh sterile product on tap .

I enjoyed breast feeding and found the whole thing a very satisfying thing to do . If I offended a few outdated sensibilities by breast feeding when I went out tough, my baby came firsts.

There are so many other considerations. It may not be the same for all women when you are breast feeding and your baby cries you 'let down' milk so even if you have expressed it earlier and carried it around unhygienically in a bottle, when your baby cries you need to feed it or it can become painful and milk leaks out.

I don't see why breast feeding mothers should be banished to some dirty germ ridden loo or back room because some people are embarrassed by the human body, we all have one.

One more thing , a breast fed baby will often refuse to take a bottle anyway and who can blame it, why would it want a piece of smelly rubber in its mouth when it can have it's mothers warm soft skin .

I fed my baby discreetly because I was being considerate to others not because I was ashamed of my body or being seen feeding my baby .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I just don't understand why people in this day and age still have hang ups about women breast feeding in public.
Where is the logic behind going through the painful procedure of using a breast pump/ putting milk in a bottle/ sterilising bottles / keeping milk cool/heating it up again when you have a fresh sterile product on tap .
Exactly. I don't get this hang-up either. It's a natural bodily function and nurturing a child so what's the big deal?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Exactly. I don't get this hang-up either. It's a natural bodily function and nurturing a child so what's the big deal?
I despair sometimes for young mothers , with all the health benefits of breast feeding we should be encouraging as many women as possible to do it not putting up obstacles to deter them...
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Maybe those who find it such a horrible thing for a Nursing Mother to feed Her Baby on demand,can tell Us WHY...Now I can see why all the hoo-ha if a Women 'whipped out Her breast in public' if there was no Baby attached to it:~)..But to tut tut and shake Their heads making the Nursing Mother feel embarrassed/ashamed/uncomfortable because She refuses to hide away while feeding the Baby,is quite frankly absurd...I know when I was a girl it was normal to see Young Mothers breast feeding Their babies anywhere and everywhere,and also stirring the stew/soup or whatever at the same time....So why is the sight of a naked breast so disgusting to some...please enlighten Me.

Page 4 of 38 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top