Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 05:35 PM

The Budget

Hi

Well what do you think?

I thought it was OKish, but would have liked to see some more tax increases.

We are still spending far more than we earn.

I would like to have seen the Upper Limit for NI Contributions raised or abolished.

I was very pleased to see the introduction of T Levels and the increase in the Training Funds, long overdue if we are to make the best of our youngsters.

We need to pay our engineers etc more, those who produce nothing, less.

It is a nonsense that Estate Agents and Solicitors get paid so much.

I was sad to see that they did not overturn the charges to train our own nurses,so so wrong.

HS2 is still being built, money mush better spent in buying out PFI.

We could have rearranged Overseas Aid, linked the money we give to British Firms doing the work.

The amount we give is enshrined in Law, May does not have a big enough majority to change this.

Just my views, I would be very interested in yours.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:47 PM

Re: The Budget

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well what do you think?

I thought it was OKish, but would have liked to see some more tax increases.

We are still spending far more than we earn.

I would like to have seen the Upper Limit for NI Contributions raised or abolished.

I was very pleased to see the introduction of T Levels and the increase in the Training Funds, long overdue if we are to make the best of our youngsters.

We need to pay our engineers etc more, those who produce nothing, less.

It is a nonsense that Estate Agents and Solicitors get paid so much.

I was sad to see that they did not overturn the charges to train our own nurses,so so wrong.

HS2 is still being built, money mush better spent in buying out PFI.

We could have rearranged Overseas Aid, linked the money we give to British Firms doing the work.

The amount we give is enshrined in Law, May does not have a big enough majority to change this.

Just my views, I would be very interested in yours.
I agree with all of that, although I'm not sure how they could ensure that estate agents and solicitors receive less money for their services. I do agree, though, that estate agents especially get paid far too much for what they actually do.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Listening to BBC Radio 4, I see they are now the Labour Opposition.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 09:29 PM

I agree about that darn train track, it should be scrapped & the millions of pounds spent elsewhere where it is more needed. Crazy idea!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 09:57 PM

Why have the Self Employed and small businesses been penalised?

They are the backbone of th Economy and employ millions.
Many of them are also unpaid VAT Collectors for the government.

Of course they won't go after the Big Knobs .... No!
They can have many conssesions, and legally avoid paying tax on the divedends, courtesy of their friends in the Government.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:07 PM

He said that "We on this side (of the House) would not burden our children with ever increasing debt" (words to that effect) What about the debt students face now?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:12 PM

Hi

when will people get the point?

We are spending more than we are getting in.

The bill for this will be paid by our kids.

This is wrong, we should pay for ourselves.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Why have the Self Employed and small businesses been penalised?

They are the backbone of th Economy and employ millions.
Many of them are also unpaid VAT Collectors for the government.

Of course they won't go after the Big Knobs .... No!
They can have many conssesions, and legally avoid paying tax on the divedends, courtesy of their friends in the Government.

I agree. This is absolutely crazy given we have Brexit and should be encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship. Then we had the increase in business rates which will put many a small shop out of business on our high streets. There is some relief announced in the budget, but really all these policies don't go well with Britain being competitive post-Brexit. I was sincerely hoping for some decent help for start-ups and small businesses. A very pedestrian attempt. It makes me think the government are afraid of the future and do not want to take any chances.

Chukka Umunwa was on LBC saying that the Tories have borrowed more in 7 years than Labour did in 13. I've not verified that but perhaps someone else has. There is something going wrong. The Tories are meant to be the party of enterprise. You have to find policies that stimulate growth if you want to increase tax revenues.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

when will people get the point?

We are spending more than we are getting in.

The bill for this will be paid by our kids.

This is wrong, we should pay for ourselves.
That's been the case for decades. It's supposed to be an investment and we have sufficient assets to be in a position to sweat them. But the approach we are seeing is biting the capitalist hand that feeds. We desperately need to encourage domestic enterprise because we are about to go through a period of major instability because of the uncertainty of brexit negotiations. This budget smacks of desperation. Coupled with the withdrawal of mortgage tax relief we are all set for recession. I'm surprised at the growth prediction. I haven't read up on how that's been worked out. I'd expect more inflation.

I was driving today and noticed that roads aren't being repaired and even a green traffic light's green casing had slipped so it was shining white. I'm noticing more and more neglect and increased prices in supermarkets.

They are putting together a green paper on care costs. I've heard there is a "death tax" being mooted so that when you die your estate has your care costs deducted.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Is the NI increase relating to Class 4. I think it might be. SO that is going up by 1% from 9% to 10%.
if I remember rightly, it is only very recently, arising from the NHS and it's problems a great many people said they would be happy for their tax to be raised to keep the NHS providing the service necessary.
I assume that's now last weeks news, and a new argy bargy has arisen if someone can make brownie points out of it.

It really does make me wonder what people want. They complain about everything, maybe they would prefer Labour back in Government , and that would sort everything out .

Newsnight banging on about it tonight, Laura Keunssberg giving her all, everyone BBC are interviewing is all negative.
Time for a snap election as David Davies suggested last week maybe ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top