Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Re: Phil Hammond -v- the Media

Hi

A fact of life.

Other Countries have much better Medical Systems than we do.

They pay more for them through Taxation.

We think the NHS is the best, when in reality it falls far short of other EU Countries.

Time for a rethink.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

One of my neighbours is Self Employed, a Computer Consultant.

He has only worked for one company for the last few years.

That is not genuine self employment.
I don't get why that's not genuine, when my husband was a milkman they forced them to become self employed. No choice they had to keep books pay own tax and NI, hire their milk floats, order stock and sell it. It felt pretty self employed to me.

Law was on the side of unigate they were allowed to do it, so it was recognised as self employment then.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't get why that's not genuine, when my husband was a milkman they forced them to become self employed. No choice they had to keep books pay own tax and NI, hire their milk floats, order stock and sell it. It felt pretty self employed to me.

Law was on the side of unigate they were allowed to do it, so it was recognised as self employment then.
Hi

Times have changed, it is no longer self employment, much better for the employees.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 10:51 AM

It could be challenged Julie darlin' - even back then - I did it many times on behalf of clients of the Law Centre, I don't remember ever losing one of those claims either.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 11:29 AM

it mainly applies to people providing services and working alongside employees doing the same thing as the employees, such as contractors in an office sitting at a desk and doing the same role as their employed colleagues, but calling themselves self-employed and paying less tax & NI. They will no longer be seen as self employed based on the rules and will have PAYE applied. It's a massive shock to some who will see a big drop in a virtually tax free income. I met a lot of Australian and NZ contractors who were using this loophole. You can see the appeal.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it mainly applies to people providing services and working alongside employees doing the same thing as the employees, such as contractors in an office sitting at a desk and doing the same role as their employed colleagues, but calling themselves self-employed and paying less tax & NI. They will no longer be seen as self employed based on the rules and will have PAYE applied. It's a massive shock to some who will see a big drop in a virtually tax free income. I met a lot of Australian and NZ contractors who were using this loophole. You can see the appeal.

Not necessarily Annie darlin' - I remember representing plumbers, brickies, electricians etc, etc on many occasions. Each and every one of them was declared to be an employee rather than self-employed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top