Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:24 PM

Sinn Fein

Hi

Sinn Fein had huge gains in the Northern Ireland Elections.

It would appear that they are now pushing for a Referendum on leaving the UK.

NI will be our only land border with the EU when we leave and many people, on both sides, do not wish to see a return to border posts.

Are we seeing the breakup of the UK?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:43 PM

Re: Sinn Fein

It wouldn't worry me at all if N.I. left the UK.

It would avoid us having a land border with the EU.

I'm not sure about this, but does N.I. benefit from a Barnett-type formula? If so, that would save us money.

The problem of the continued existence of the IRA, and the potential for further 'troubles' would no longer be a threat to us.

If the people of Northern Ireland would prefer independence, I believe they should have their wish.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:15 PM

From what I have gleaned, the Barnett Formula dictates levels of public spending in Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales and is downright unfair to the English!
They each receive greater public expenditure per head than England under the formula.
Even Lord Barnett, before his death, said the Barnett Formula was “a terrible mistake” and he was ashamed and embarrassed that his name was still associated with it. He also said at the time that it was never intended to last for over 36 years!.

So as England seem to be the Purse strings with these three economies and if any or all feel they have the strength to go it alone. Good luck to them. We in England will be all the richer for their wish for independence.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:24 PM

Or Scotland Wales and NI could form a new Union with Republic of Ireland and stay part of the EU.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't like to see Scotland and Wales break away from Great Britain, but Northern Ireland should be part of Southern Ireland, it would be a very logical step forward for the Irish.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
From what I have gleaned, the Barnett Formula dictates levels of public spending in Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales and is downright unfair to the English!
They each receive greater public expenditure per head than England under the formula.
Even Lord Barnett, before his death, said the Barnett Formula was “a terrible mistake” and he was ashamed and embarrassed that his name was still associated with it. He also said at the time that it was never intended to last for over 36 years!.
On this point, I assume that those three parts of the UK were to benefit from the Barnett Formula because the average citizen of those areas was less well off than their counterpart in England.

If that was the case, I'd like to suggest that the same might apply to the average citizen of Northern England.

So why don't we benefit from the same thing?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-03-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Northern Ireland should be part of Southern Ireland, it would be a very logical step forward for the Irish.
I agree. As I understand it, Northern Ireland was separated from Eire because the majority religion in that area was Protestantism, compared to the Roman Catholicism of the south.

Hopefully, as religion - well Christianity at any rate - is becoming less important to most people, this dividing factor shouldn't carry much weight these days.

In any event, I don't see why Northern Ireland, as part of a united Ireland, shouldn't still retain its choice of religion and could continue to have a separate parliament as it does at present.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:38 PM

It was never about religion. That was just a smokescreen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-03-2017, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It was never about religion. That was just a smokescreen.
So what, then, was the reason?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-03-2017, 01:00 AM

it was about class. The Irish were the underclass in Northern Ireland.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top