Join for free
Page 5 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Re: New Challenge - Out of the Blue

Woah! Colin DWebb! Great pics!

What's a prismatic spring?

Don't worry; I will go a-googling and find out.

Edit....

"Grand Prismatic Spring was noted by geologists working in the Hayden Geological Survey of 1871, and named by them for its striking coloration. Its colours match the rainbow dispersion of white light by an optical prism: red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.

The vivid colours in the spring are the result of microbial mats around the edges of the mineral-rich water. The mats produce colours ranging from green to red; the amount of colour in the microbial mats depends on the ratio of chlorophyll to carotenoids and on the temperature gradient in the runoff.

In the summer, the mats tend to be orange and red, whereas in the winter the mats are usually dark green.The centre of the pool is sterile due to extreme heat.

The deep blue colour of the water in the centre of the pool results from the intrinsic blue colour of water. The effect is strongest in the centre of the spring, because of its sterility and depth."

Wow!
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->

Thanks! My favourite colour is blooooooooo, it is just one of em geezer things.....at the super volcano that is Yellowstone
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Edit....

"Grand Prismatic Spring was noted by geologists working in the Hayden Geological Survey of 1871, and named by them for its striking coloration. Its colours match the rainbow dispersion of white light by an optical prism: red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.

The vivid colours in the spring are the result of microbial mats around the edges of the mineral-rich water. The mats produce colours ranging from green to red; the amount of colour in the microbial mats depends on the ratio of chlorophyll to carotenoids and on the temperature gradient in the runoff.

In the summer, the mats tend to be orange and red, whereas in the winter the mats are usually dark green.The centre of the pool is sterile due to extreme heat.

The deep blue colour of the water in the centre of the pool results from the intrinsic blue colour of water. The effect is strongest in the centre of the spring, because of its sterility and depth."

Wow!
Interesting as I was there in 1870 but as it had not been discovered I did not see it
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Interesting as I was there in 1870 but as it had not been discovered I did not see it
Twit!
DWebb
North East, UK

17-02-2019, 06:40 PM

Twit!
Yup
DWebb
North East, UK

17-02-2019, 06:43 PM

Car on route thixty thix

toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Just a tad touched up.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 05:43 PM

My heart will go on.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 05:45 PM

I missed this thread....
Super photo's Folks.
Our van....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080525(1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	8784  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Comi-con

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P10204371_zpsjmosqiso.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8785  

Page 5 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top