Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 11:05 PM

Re: Are There Any Flowers You Wouldn’t Have in Your House?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm the same, Mags.
Would not want a Peace Lily plant, and have never liked the look or smell, or pollen of cut flower Lily's either - quite apart from the pollen being harmful to animals, especially cats if they rub against it.
I won't grow them in the garden even.

What I enjoy most is just 3 or 4 of my perfumed roses in a little glass pot of some sort, I just love the smell. You never get that with florists flowers.
Otherwise, I will cut just a few of my favourite Dahlia heads, or 3 or 4 of my Agapanthus, they are all beautiful.

I am not so keen on huge great bunches of flowers, just a few choice specimens is what I like best.
That's interesting Mups, I have never thought of cutting my Agapanthus to go in a vase. Hmmm .... I may try that this year if they recover from a bit of frost damage from a few weeks ago.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 04:18 AM

I love flowers inside outside wherever even lillies I just put them out of the lounge at night if I'm in there watching TV....I love white roses best of all how could you not like them...gorgeous.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 09:00 AM

I am not too keen on lilies because of the scent also the pollen drops and stains things, other than that I will have any flower I am not superstitious in any way.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 11:22 AM

We only have artificial flowers in the house, as most flowers make me sneeze and my eyes water.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's interesting Mups, I have never thought of cutting my Agapanthus to go in a vase. Hmmm .... I may try that this year if they recover from a bit of frost damage from a few weeks ago.

As you know Mags, I love mine and even if you only put 2 or 3 blooms together and cut the stems down, they look smashing.

If we could only have one flower though, I think mine would have to be the little highly fragrant cottage pinks.
I have got loads of them, but still sent for 5 new ones this morning.
I buy from Whetmans Pinks, they are very good and have good videos on how to care for them as well.

I have a tiny 'vase' with half a dozen in it, and I put it on my kitchen table, and as I sit having a cuppa or reading the paper the smell of these amazing little flowers wafts over.

I have told my friend I would like Roses and Pinks when I pop off from this world.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don’t like lillies .
( shades of Tommy Steele )
And those oriental ones have that awful pollen that gets on everything .
Oh I love the scent of those !

Chrysant’s on the other hand I detest the smell of and won’t ever have them indoors
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 01:31 PM

I love the strong scent of Lilies but never buy them because of the danger to cats.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 01:59 PM

I love flowers . I buy flowers for myself regularly, I have tulips at the moment, last bunch were lilies I adore them all
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 05:09 PM

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was triffids!

Top of my pet hates are gladioli because they decay bit by bit by bit (my idea of floral nightmares), but I hate any cut flower that decays fast as it's best to leave it outside in the ground.

I cannot bear the smell of hyacinths in the house. My heart sinks if they are given as a gift.

Unlike most here I do like lilies but only white ones. I don't associate them with death. I just think they are one of the most beautiful flowers on this earth. Usually received as a gift so I always associate them with special occasions or kindness of others. I would associate them more with weddings than funerals, particularly calla lilies. Funnily enough I will not have them outside as they are toxic to pets, plus I hate coloured lilies as I think they are a bit tacky, not sure why but that's the way my mind works.

I also have a deep prejudice against chrysanthemums....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 05:32 PM

I love flowers, Gladioli,Lilies,Tulips, Daffodils, Hyacinth...love them all.

I don’t have Chrysanthemums in the house, the leaves never look healthy, the ones that I seem to buy.

I do like the Pom,Pom, Chrysanthemums, saw some in the market on thurs, I bought tulips and daffs instead.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top