Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:29 AM

Re: Destroying what attracts the tourists in the first place!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I find this thread really upsetting. I love elephants.
Yes, me too. On both points.

Surely there can be a better way of generating income other than death. Ending the life of elephants for money is incomprehensible to me, surely they can do something else?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:42 AM

They kill people in Zimbabwe without batting an eye so elephants won’t be high on their sympathy list.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:50 AM

Yes, that's very true, Muddy.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->

Surely there can be a better way of generating income other than death. Ending the life of elephants for money is incomprehensible to me, surely they can do something else?
And it's only a quick fix, what happens when all the Elephants are gone....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->

I wonder why they cannot charge the same but use cameras to 'shoot' the elephants rather than using weapons? That I feel would bring in an income to combat 'poaching', for which they say money is needed. There must be many people who would pay to photograph elephants in their natural environment. An elephant can be photographed many times but only killed the once. Best of all killing elephants for 'trophies' would very much cease, so preserving them and their natural lives for everyone.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And it's only a quick fix, what happens when all the Elephants are gone....
Exactly OGF, see my previous post.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I wonder why they cannot charge the same but use cameras to 'shoot' the elephants rather than using weapons? That I feel would bring in an income to combat 'poaching', for which they say money is needed. There must be many people who would pay to photograph elephants in their natural environment. An elephant can be photographed many times but only killed the once. Best of all killing elephants for 'trophies' would very much cease, so preserving them and their natural lives for everyone.
Because rich sadists want to thrill of ending the life of an animal .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 09:41 AM

I think they would prefer people to photograph them, but with travel being limited by covid there are no tourists and these poor backward countries rely very heavily on tourism. Perhaps it would be better to pay hunters to shoot the people and leave the Elephants in peace.
Baz46

26-04-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think they would prefer people to photograph them, but with travel being limited by covid there are no tourists and these poor backward countries rely very heavily on tourism. Perhaps it would be better to pay hunters to shoot the people and leave the Elephants in peace.
Yes, covid will have played a part this time but killing of elephants and other such wildlife has been going on for years. Now almost to the point of extinction but still those who organise this do not appear to realise the eventual effect it's having.

That's a good idea OGF, something like paintball we have in this country but with live ammunition. How about 'Paintball a Poacher with Live Ammunition'? Elephants could stand and observe with the photographers then doing the other, more sustainable, kind of 'shooting'.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Me too, Annie.

I've got a book here somewhere, called - " When Elephants Cry", and it's about how they express grief.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Elepha.../dp/076608860X

Part of another book I have says:

" One of the most interesting observations, at least to us, is the concept of 'elephant tears', describing the secrretions from their eyes that often roll down their cheeks as they approach another elephant's skeletal remains.
There is no doubt that some elephants do seem to undergo a specific physiological and emotional response under these circumstances, which is highly suggestive of grief."

Man thinks he is so superior in so many ways. It is beyond these people's comprehension that other creatures have emotions too.

I think there may be some confusion over elephants tears Mups ?
You see the male elephants excrete a solution from glands in the
region of their eyes when they are in the mood for romance !
This is called " being in must " , and precedes the mating event !
This excretion apparently sends a message to the matriarch female
that Jumbo is ready for for some hanky panky !!
But I is true that if a herd of elephantsts come across the remains
of a dead elephant they pick up the bones and inspect them and
make rumbling noises whilst doing so ??
Myself, l don't see why we have to kill them to get their ivory?
Why can't we just wait for them to die naturally ??
The national parks also have stockpiles of tusks which they destroy
on a regular basis ? Why not let the poachers have them free of
charge?
This would surely remove any value from the ivory and so lead to
the end of poaching ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top