Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Help! Overrun with Plums

My purple plum tree went crazy this year. We harvested the entire tree this weekend, and gave away plums to anyone that would take them.. BUT .. I still have tons of plums and we simply cannot eat that many. What can you do with plums? I would like to do something that I can freeze as I am not comfortable with canning them. Ideas?? Recipes???
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Re: Help! Overrun with Plums

Make some jam.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:13 PM

I envy you Audrey, my trees had a decent crop but many are grubbed even though I sprayed them a couple of times..

Making jam is always a good idea, but after that if we have a glut we cut the plums in half, remove the stones, then freeze them on trays before bagging up and putting back into the freezer. We then take out whatever we need over the year for pies, crumbles and usually just for stewing with apples and berries, delicious...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Making jam is always a good idea, but after that if we have a glut we cut the plums in half, remove the stones, then freeze them on trays before bagging up and putting back into the freezer. We then take out whatever we need over the year for pies, crumbles and usually just for stewing with apples and berries, delicious...[/QUOTE] We do the same Barry. By the end of the summer we have enough fruit in the freezer to last until next year's crop starts to come in.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:23 PM

I was hooked on the fruit cobblers we had in Florida over the past couple of weeks so if I had an excess of plums I would definitely be making and freezing them.

Here's a recipe for plum and apple cobbler:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...-apple-cobbler

More plum recipes here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/plum
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I envy you Audrey, my trees had a decent crop but many are grubbed even though I sprayed them a couple of times..

Making jam is always a good idea, but after that if we have a glut we cut the plums in half, remove the stones, then freeze them on trays before bagging up and putting back into the freezer. We then take out whatever we need over the year for pies, crumbles and usually just for stewing with apples and berries, delicious...
Barry I went to the fruit farm to pick plums last week Herons mainly and most of the ones I picked are full of grubs this year .
The Victorias are late and only just ready.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
My purple plum tree went crazy this year. We harvested the entire tree this weekend, and gave away plums to anyone that would take them.. BUT .. I still have tons of plums and we simply cannot eat that many. What can you do with plums? I would like to do something that I can freeze as I am not comfortable with canning them. Ideas?? Recipes???
Audrey I freeze the plumbs halved/stoned/shaken in sugar and packed into little freezer bags then used through the winter in pies and crumbles.
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

03-09-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Ask Sandi from Australia,she will have recipes for you!

Billy
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Yes Audrey darlin'.

1. Slivovic - you'll need a large kilner jar(s). Slice 2 lb plums in half and remove stone. place in kilner jar. Add 1 kilo granulated sugar. Pour over as much of a bottle of Vodka as you can get in. Over next few days with the handle of a WOODEN spoon, stir gently. When all sugar has dissolved, place lid on kilner jar(s) and store in a cool dark place. Should be ready for drinking and perfect at Xmas!!!

2. Plum sponge pudding. 2 - 3 lb plums placed in saucepan with 2 - 3 Ounces of sugar. Just cover plums with water. Heat gently DO NOT BOIL!!!. When sugar dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool. When cool, slice plums and remove stones. Place flat down in shallow oven tray. Pour a small quantity of the sugar water over plums (NOT TOO MUCH!!!) just to make them slightly moist. Make victoria sponge mix and add vanilla essence to it. Pour over plums in oven dish and bake in oven (160 o C) for approx 30 - 35 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes. Sieve icing sugar over the sponge - serve warm with custard - absolutely delicious!!!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:09 PM

OK... I've frozen 3 gallon size ziplock bags with halved pitted plums.. I've got 2 more gallons washed and divided up to take into work tomorrow for coworkers.. and another 2 gallons in the fridge for us to eat. DONE...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top