Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Re: Help! Overrun with Plums

I love plums, pity we don't live near to someone with a glut of them
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
OK... I've frozen 3 gallon size ziplock bags with halved pitted plums..
Audrey won't they stick together . I freeze them in small bags so I can access and use a small amount at a time .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Audrey won't they stick together . I freeze them in small bags so I can access and use a small amount at a time .
I think I can smack them on the kitchen counter to loosen them up.. I don't have room for freezing that huge amount on trays in single layers. I'm hoping for the best. Or I can thaw out a whole bag and make plum sauce.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 07:44 AM

I think I can smack them on the kitchen counter to loosen them up.. I don't have room for freezing that huge amount on trays in single layers. I'm hoping for the best. Or I can thaw out a whole bag and make plum sauce.

Ooooohhhhhh plum sauce!!! - need the roast duck to go with that.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:30 AM

OK... I've frozen 3 gallon size ziplock bags with halved pitted plums.. I've got 2 more gallons washed and divided up to take into work tomorrow for coworkers.. and another 2 gallons in the fridge for us to eat. DONE...
I never wash fruit before I freeze it as it just covers everything in ice. I freeze it dry and then wash it before use after thawing, also much easier to separate small quantities of the frozen produce as well should you need to.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I never wash fruit before I freeze it as it just covers everything in ice. I freeze it dry and then wash it before use after thawing, also much easier to separate small quantities of the frozen produce as well should you need to.
Makes sense! I will keep this in mind for next time. I have an entire boatload of Apples to harvest in 1 month. Red Deliscious and Granny Smith... But I think in the form of pies and applesauce.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Makes sense! I will keep this in mind for next time. I have an entire boatload of Apples to harvest in 1 month. Red Deliscious and Granny Smith... But I think in the form of pies and applesauce.

What about making apple wine or cider Audrey darlin'???
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 01:19 PM

What a shame you live over the Pond - our plums got caught out by our cold Spring and haven't come to anything this year.

Plum brandy is good (if you like that sort of thing ). Put about 300gm of pitted plums into a Kilner type jar, add about 300gm of white sugar, top up with brandy. Shake gently until sugar is dissolved and then put in a cool dark place for about 3 months, then strain, bottle and leave for another 3 months (if you can manage it) and then enjoy! Works well with vodka too. Use a reasonably good spirit but not a very expensive one.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree Barry, if fruit is frozen when wet it does stick together.
I do wash plums and damsons before I stone them and I dry them well on a tea towel.

Tossing dry fruit in a bit of sugar also helps to prevent them from sticking together . I freeze in lb bags.
AudreyII
USA

06-09-2013, 04:08 PM

Well great news! When I froze my gallon sized bags of plums, I flattened them out as much as possible and laid them flat on the freezer bottom.. I took out a bag... gave it a good wack on the kitchen counter top edge and the plums broke apart!! Now I can take out pretty much what I need. Still not sure what I am doing with them though..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top