Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Re: Help! Overrun with Plums

Glad I saw this thread as our damson tree has given us an enormous crop this year. Definitely trying your plum sponge Uncle Joe.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 03:26 AM

You really should make jam, as it is so delicious. It really is not hard to do, and well worth it.
I really thank you all for the tips on freezing plums.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Get some raccoons!
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 11:52 PM

You could always make Plum Paste. Delicious sliced on cracker bisicuits with cheese on top.

To make :-
However many plums you want to use (cut in half - seed removed) place in saucepan with small amount of water. Cook and then Purée the fruit in a mouli or blender.

Cook the purée slowly with an equal quantity of sugar, stirring continuously, until it comes away from the sides of the pan. While it is cooking, it is like an erupting volcano. Protect surfaces with towels, and even hands and arms with gloves if cooking a large amount.

Cook till setting, a bit more than jam as it has to be thick enough to cut when cold. I then pour into small round plastic containers about 1" deep. Once set put lids on and they can be put into freezer, just taking one out at a time. Will keep well in fridge too once opened.

You can do the same with Quinces but you need to Peel and core these. I always put the peel,seeds and cores in a material bag I've made just for doing this, but you can just put them in some material and tie it up like a bouquet garni, as the seeds,peel & cores provide the pectin for setting. Then it's easy to lift them out later and discard them.

You can always use Cherries and pears, but leave the skins on these just take the seeds out of the cherries and the cores out of the pears.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top