Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2013, 10:07 PM

Re: Use by dates

I've been trying to convince my partner, Ed, that these dates are for the most part total rubbish! As long as common sense prevails I don't think there's a huge amount to worry about. I hate throwing food away if it's only days out of date!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 02:23 AM

Of course, as I said in my first post, I buy meat and freeze it, but I'd never keep eggs past their sell buy date. There used to be a Use By Date on as well, which is a different tale, but I don't see that now.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 03:13 AM

Mollie,
We have never had a sell by date here only a best before or Use by date.
I buy eggs from someone who has chooks, so I always test in a glass of water before I use them to just check if they are OK. If they sink, they are good, if they float, out they go.

If I buy fruit, usually from a farmers market and don't buy imported stuff because you don't know how long they keep it. Good idea in Supermarkets is not to buy anything that isn't in season because it could have been held in cold storage, sometimes for up to a year.

I do grow some things myself, love home grown tomatoes. The problem here is that water is so expensive, so have to limit what water we use on the garden. The last few years we have had water rationing which makes it hard as we have only been allowed to use buckets to water with and certain times and days to water. Hard to keep a garden going like that.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2013, 10:32 AM

We must have the most expensive water in the country where we are. They charge us for every litre coming in and then charge us for every litre going out which is totally unfair for a keen gardener like myself as they do not measure the water going out.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top