Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Popcorn anyone?

I recently tried to eat my way through 6.5kg of dried banana chips thinking they were a good source of energy, which they were, but what I didn't realise were the calories they contained. They say they are dried but apparently they ain't. Most are coated in sugar and deep fat fried either in veg oil or coconut oil! Yikes, the calories are close to the same amount as chocolate. Sure are tasty though. Anyway - popcorn.

I very nearly forked out for a load of sun dried bananas as my stamina and what not has improved a lot so I want to keep the high carbo side of things going, but then I had a brain wave - popcorn . Popcorn is very high in carbos yet low in calories with the added benefit of having a great deal of fibre - job done. Ebay here I come.

Complete kit for £15.89 and comes with some corn kernels

This gadget along with my Salad Chef will be the makings of me as an old guy athlete for sure .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Re: Popcorn anyone?

You could be my saviour! I have one of these gadgets, never used, and can't seem to find the instructions. I have the popcorn kernels, ready to use, but I don't know if one should put oil in. And when to add the salt or sugar.

Sometimes I buy it from stalls, get the mixed and consume almost half of it before I get home! Let us know how you get on Mark, and the instructions please. Thanks.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 02:32 PM

I used to buy microwave popcorn, butterscotch flavour - delicious.
For some reason, it's been taken off the market
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Hubby has just informed me that there was controversy over microwaved popcorn, it could be toxic
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
You could be my saviour! I have one of these gadgets, never used, and can't seem to find the instructions. I have the popcorn kernels, ready to use, but I don't know if one should put oil in. And when to add the salt or sugar.

Sometimes I buy it from stalls, get the mixed and consume almost half of it before I get home! Let us know how you get on Mark, and the instructions please. Thanks.
Well I read up a bit on it and apparently there isn't a way to add oil or anything else at first. What I intend to do is get some food sprayers and fill them with the solution I like, such as savoury containing salt and vinegar solution, another with sugar solution etc. Lightly spray the results with it and mix in and probably micro slightly to dry off. Hopefully that will do the trick and also keep the calories down. You can also get spray butter cans which work very well apparently.

Whether the above will work or not I won't know until I have tried it.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 03:35 PM

the machines work on hot air don't add anything but the corn till they are done, then in a large bowl add the salt or roll them in the butterstuff
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Big saucepan is what we use seems to do the trick.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Big saucepan is what we use seems to do the trick.
Me too Julie with the lid firmly on if you want to keep your eyesight

I don't use any oil either just a shake of the pan to stop it sticking
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Yes deffo need the lid firmly on or the dogs go mad for it !!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

22-11-2013, 12:58 PM

This machine is a blast . You put a small amount in of popcorn kernels and switch on. It is like a hairdryer but the stuff spins around inside too. The amount of heat the thing pumps out is very surprising. After just a very short time you start hearing popping sounds and then all of a sudden a massive avalanche of popcorn spews out from the top. Put too much in and you would end up in trouble. Bloody great gadget and I just like to use to to watch the process happen.

Tried the results with salt - sugar - etc but I think I will just eat the popcorn as is as it is lovely and light and fluffy.

Sent away for 1kg of kernels now so that should keep me going.

Ace bit of kit .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top