Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Re: Christmas is coming ....

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Thank you Meg this made me laugh I was trying to figure out what this had to do with having a goose for Christmas.
Me too - I thought I was having a senior moment
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:59 AM

I have never tried goose, I think because I have been told it is very greasy that is the reason.

We stick to tradition in our house, because there is only the two of us we usually buy a crown instead of a full turkey.

We also have gammon, beef and pork which we cook the week leading up to Christmas, slice it up and put in freezer bags, and put it in the freezer to take out in smaller amounts when needed. Which usually lasts well into January.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Turkey on the day, with roast potatoes, sprouts, carrots, parsnips, pigs in blankets, sausage stuffing with garlic, cranberry sauce, bread sauce,
and Gravy made from the Giblets.

Sweet = Christmas pudding, brandy butter, clotted cream, double cream.

Thats traditional in our house and thats the way it is ...
Libera
Kent
Libera is female  Libera has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:11 PM

I usually have a chestnut roast for Christmas dinner as I am vegetarian! I make my own and put in whatever I fancy at the time.
My daughter is also veggie but her husband is a big meat eater so if I go there, she cooks both nut roast and traditional turkey meal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Think you may have wandered into the wrong thread meg
aggg thats what happens when you have a two year old on your knee pressing the keys
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

19-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Just to say that my meal in Norway (also eaten on Christmas Eve) is fillet of reindeer with new potatoes, asparagus beans, various pickles and "tyttebær" (which I have never known the english translation of but looking it up it says cowberry - which I have never heard of!).

As the reindeer is a fairly strong tasting meat then the wine chosen is normally a Rhone or a Burgundy wine but I have also used a Rioja wine as well.

Dinner starts around 8pm and then you open your presents afterwards which often means that we are still opening presents after midnight.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 03:02 PM

I quiet like the main meal on Christmas eve as it leaves you free Christmas day to relax play with your new toys and enjoy the peace with just me and hubby and the animals , we can take a nice walk out with the dogs into the hills and come back to a nice log fire and bottle of wine .... No pile of pots to clean as its all been done the day before just a few plates from the fridge of the prepared nibbles sausage and cheese plus pickles ...
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

19-11-2013, 03:27 PM

I agree, Christmas Day for us is very relaxing as we always go to friends to eat "breakfast" at 3pm! Hence if it is good weather (and good weather in Norway at Christmas means plenty of snow and a temperature of around -5C) we may go skiing or just going for a walk.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 03:46 PM

....... The goose is getting fat, please put a penny in the old man's hat!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 04:46 PM

We have always had turkey full roast on Christmas Day, have never tried goose.

We will be going to our daughter's Christmas Day this year and she appears to be following the turkey tradition...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top