Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 09:23 PM

parsnips

...just heard on tv, (Nigel and Adam's Farm Kitchen) that 5% of people think that parsnips grow on trees
Surely this isn't a true statement?
Do people really not know??
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Re: parsnips

Why are you surprised? I should think many children and some adults don't even recognise fresh vegetables.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Last time I bought parsnips the checkout chap asked me what they were so he could weigh and price them Not the only vegetable I have been asked about in the last few years either !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Ooooh - spiced parsnip soup - yummy !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Why are you surprised? I should think many children and some adults don't even recognise fresh vegetables.
Unfortunately that is very true!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:33 PM

I bought some parsnips and turnips from Sainsbury and was asked by checkout girl what they were as well
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 04:45 AM

Yes, same here in Oz. Half of them don't know what the vegetables are even for some of the simple everyday ones we use.

At least our schools in Adelaide are now taking the lead and are having gardens where the kids learn to grow and plant everything, then they pick it and take it into the kitchen and they do everything to get it ready to cook and then eat it (the best part).

They even volunteer to go there during the holidays to look after the garden and the chooks. They love it. Even parent's are now becoming involved with helping so they can learn too. It's great.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-11-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
Yes, same here in Oz. Half of them don't know what the vegetables are even for some of the simple everyday ones we use.

At least our schools in Adelaide are now taking the lead and are having gardens where the kids learn to grow and plant everything, then they pick it and take it into the kitchen and they do everything to get it ready to cook and then eat it (the best part).

They even volunteer to go there during the holidays to look after the garden and the chooks. They love it. Even parent's are now becoming involved with helping so they can learn too. It's great.
Excellent idea.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ooooh - spiced parsnip soup - yummy !
I made that last Friday and it was delicious.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
...just heard on tv, (Nigel and Adam's Farm Kitchen) that 5% of people think that parsnips grow on trees
Surely this isn't a true statement?
Do people really not know??

They grow next to the spagetti bushes in the potato orchard Jan darlin'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top