Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

21-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Re: parsnips

Parsnips to me are one of my favorite vegetables, I use them regularly either as a mash, roasted, steamed, in stews or in soups.

When I moved to Norway they could not be found and I had to "import" them from the UK, now they are more common although most people do not know what to do with them and regularly I get asked, when buying parsnips, by other customers on what I will use them for.

Generally I love all root vegetables and cannot understand why they are not used so much these days as they are both nutritious and cheap.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:08 AM

I was thinking, the parents should be ashamed not teaching their children but it seems it is the parents who don't know Maybe us grandparents are to blame?

Our grandchildren are fortunate to have parents who involve them in growing and preparing food. (their paternal grandma makes them dig up veggies)
They pick our strawberries and toms but eat as many as goes in the trug.
I like my parsnips baked/roasted or in a stew.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:28 AM

To be honest if I had relied on my parents I would have no idea what food was what as they embraced the ready meals they got in Iceland with an alarming enthusiasm, it was my grandparents who grew their own and taught me what was what and I have passed that onto my niece and nephews.

Those freezer shops in the 60's seemed to be a big part of the problem and if people had no reference to the previous generation I can see why we are in this mess now.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:34 PM

I just bought some parsnips and turnips for my beef barley soup this past week. The checkout person (my age) thought the turnips were rutabagas and had no idea what the parsnips were. I told here she sure didn't know her root vegetables and she looked at me like I had two heads.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 02:16 PM

I thought they came from hell I hate parsnips horrid sweet tasting things.

My 3 little grandchildren know where they come from thought and have helped the other nanna dig them up on her allotment . They love them .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Parsnips and turnips sure add something wonderful to soups. My mom always added them. Now It's not soup for me without them. They add that special "Mom" flavor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 02:25 PM

I had to look up what rutabagas are, swedes by another name it seems.

Now there is a nice veg if cooked properly.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I thought they came from hell I hate parsnips horrid sweet tasting things.

My 3 little grandchildren know where they come from thought and have helped the other nanna dig them up on her allotment . They love them .
My son hates them too Meg he thinks they smell of sweat
AudreyII
USA

21-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I had to look up what rutabagas are, swedes by another name it seems.

Now there is a nice veg if cooked properly.
yes.. Sorry.. forgot there are Swedes in England.. lol!!

I agree.. I love rutabagas cubed.. or mashed with butter and salt and pepper. Nice veggie.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 03:55 PM

I love parsnips, especially roasted or mashed with carrots and swedes ....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top