Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Thanksgiving Dinner!!!

I know I'm the one of the very few celebrating our Thanksgiving.. and I'm cooking this year.

Of course TURKEY! Do you eat a lot of Turkey in the UK?

I have mine brining in the refrigerator.. in a mixture of water, kosher salt, molasses, honey, soy sauce, sage, thyme and garlic. I brine mine for 2 days. Makes it so flavorful and juicy.

I will make my traditional Stuffing, outside the bird this year.
Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows
Mashed potatoes,
Turkey gravy
buttered corn
cauliflower
deviled eggs and veggie tray
cranberry sauce
and OF COURSE pumpkin pie.. with real whipped cream on top.

A feast and I can't wait!!! YUMMMMMMM

Come on by if you're in the neighborhood.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner!!!

Turkey tends to be a Christmas meat here, haven't done one in years as no one really likes it in my home so we do either a couple of chickens and a veggie dish or occasionally we have done beef or lamb (too expensive these days).

Hope you enjoy your meal and have a lovely day Audrey !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Actually, Turkey is not my favorite thing to eat. I prefer chicken, and I love duck... however once a year it's an absolute MUST.. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it. Many people here prepare other types of meats along with the Turkey... however you will find a Turkey on most every table.. whether people really like it or not.

Personally, I think it's all about the Stuffing!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 04:03 PM

I love tradition but prefer to make our own when it comes to things like this, the idea of serving a turkey or anything else even though people are not keen seems unfair to the creature that has died. At least do them the honour of really enjoying them if they have to be killed I always think. But being a veggie what can you expect
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Sounds lovely Audrey if you remove the turkey

I don't eat turkey, chicken, or anything with feathers, I guess I am a feathertarian
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Sweet potato with marshmallows? Sounds rather strange but I will try anything once! We don't usually brine our turkeys either - but reading your list maybe we should - it sounds delicious.
AudreyII
USA

27-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sweet potato with marshmallows? Sounds rather strange but I will try anything once! We don't usually brine our turkeys either - but reading your list maybe we should - it sounds delicious.
Brine:

6 quarts water
5 pounds Ice
1 pound kosher salt
1 cup molasses
2 cups honey
1 cup soy sauce
2 head garlic broken into cloves unpeeled
large bunch fresh thyme
1 tbs dried sage

dissolve salt, molasses, honey soy in heated water add garlic and herbs.. pour over ice in large container. add turkey, breast side down. make sure liquid gets inside cavity. Put in fridge or cold place not more than 40 degrees for 1 or 2 days. Remove... wash off roast as usual.. You can add softened unsalted butter mixed with lemon zest under the skin.

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows.

Boil or bake sweet potatoes and mash
Add brown sugar, butter, and a touch of vanilla

Put in casserole.. top with marshmallow.. bake untill marshmallows are melted and gooey and browned.. mmmmm

OR instead of marshmallows.. you can top with chopped pecans and brown sugar.
AudreyII
USA

27-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I love tradition but prefer to make our own when it comes to things like this, the idea of serving a turkey or anything else even though people are not keen seems unfair to the creature that has died. At least do them the honour of really enjoying them if they have to be killed I always think. But being a veggie what can you expect
I like the skin.. but I eat the meat.. I like it.. but it's just not something I crave.. I do however utilize every last bit of the bird..

The giblets go in my stuffing..
The left overs are eaten the next day.. and turkey and cranberry sandwiches are made for snacks

The carcas is put into a turkey noodle soup and enough made and frozen for 2 meals. The bones are picked clean.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Mmmm, the marshmallow thing sounds yummy.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2013, 10:19 PM

That sounds like one heck of a nice meal. The way I cook turkey it can sometimes be a bit dry and I suppose lacking in taste but I bet the way you prepare the bird and cook it is a different thing entirely. Mouth is watering reading the ingredients and imagining the end result .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top