Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 03:30 PM

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner!!!

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
That sounds like one heck of a nice meal. The way I cook turkey it can sometimes be a bit dry and I suppose lacking in taste but I bet the way you prepare the bird and cook it is a different thing entirely. Mouth is watering reading the ingredients and imagining the end result .

It's stuffing it with pop corn makes it so dry MKJ
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 06:34 PM

What if you feed the turkey on popcorn?

On Breakfast this morning they said that some "sale day" is coming over here, not sure what it is but I think they have sales in America the day after Thanksgiving. Can you enlighten us please Audrey ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->

On Breakfast this morning they said that some "sale day" is coming over here, not sure what it is but I think they have sales in America the day after Thanksgiving. Can you enlighten us please Audrey ?
That is 'Black Friday' Twiz, it always follows Thanksgiving Day and I understand it is the start of the Christmas shopping season with sales....

This is probably the news you heard this morning...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514908/Black-Friday-British-shoppers-retailers-slash-prices-70.html?ico=news^headlines
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->

Sure can.. Thanksgiving is always on the fourth Thursday of November. The following day is called "Black Friday" and is the day all the stores offer HUGE deals on merchandise as the kick off to the holiday shopping season. It's called Black Friday because all the retailers hope to end up in the "black".. not in the red with their holiday sales. SOOO.. tradition has it that stores open their doors at 12 midnight on Friday morning and offer the best savings.. Sometimes ridiculously cut prices. People have been known to stand outside for 12 hours prior to be first in line. It's CRAZY. I would never shop on Black Friday as one can get seriously hurt by poeple fighting to get to the savings. and people HAVE been hurt and trampled.

So this year... retailers are getting more desperate and are now open on Thanksgiving Day itself.. There is a backlash against that because the poor shop people making a pittance are being asked to work and are taken away from their family on Thanksgiving day. If they refuse they are fired. Greed has no conscience.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 09:30 PM

We don't want it here then!
Mags, I may have seen it on the papers bit of the Wright Stuff then not Breakfast.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Black Friday is as much of a tradition here now as Thanksgiving I'm afraid.. I don't now what Breakfast and Wright Stuff is.. TV shows? I do know this... some of the sales and deals offered are insane! That's what makes people so eager to stand in line for 12 hours and to nearly kill each other getting in when the stores open.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I know I'm the one of the very few celebrating our Thanksgiving.. and I'm cooking this year.

Of course TURKEY! Do you eat a lot of Turkey in the UK?
When I was young in the UK we used to have turkey for Christmas but I can't say it tasted that special, in fact as a kid I preferred chicken. Then we tried duck and goose what a difference that made - much better tasting birds. Turkey to me is overpriced and overrated.

These days I have a BBQ and pay a fortune for prawns and seafood . It took me years to get the hang of Christmas in summer but now I love it.

The Boxing Day sales are something to be avoided too.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2013, 11:44 PM

Happy thanksgiving Audrey xx

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I know I'm the one of the very few celebrating our Thanksgiving.. and I'm cooking this year.

Of course TURKEY! Do you eat a lot of Turkey in the UK?

I have mine brining in the refrigerator.. in a mixture of water, kosher salt, molasses, honey, soy sauce, sage, thyme and garlic. I brine mine for 2 days. Makes it so flavorful and juicy.

I will make my traditional Stuffing, outside the bird this year.
Sweet potato casserole with marshmallows
Mashed potatoes,
Turkey gravy
buttered corn
cauliflower
deviled eggs and veggie tray
cranberry sauce
and OF COURSE pumpkin pie.. with real whipped cream on top.

A feast and I can't wait!!! YUMMMMMMM

Come on by if you're in the neighborhood.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 07:22 AM

I don't care for turkey either, I prefer chicken. But, for Thanksgiving I had:
Honey baked ham
Honey baked turkey breast
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potato casserole
corn
peas
green beans
cornbread stuffing
gravy
Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls
Peacan pie
Pumpkin pie
cheese cake
It was pretty darn good!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2013, 10:19 AM

Audrey - thank you so much for the recipes - I am going to give the brine a try this year, and the sweet potato with marshmallows sounds delicious - may try that this weekend !

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top