Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Re: Broccoli stalks getting bigger?

Yes I'm sure they are getting bigger. Thanks for the info re your dogs liking them, b-v. Think I'll offer them to my mutt and see what he thinks. Do your dogs eat them raw?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
To me the stalks taste just the same as the florets, so what's the problem?
Yes must say I agree we don't just juice them we cook them and eat them too. Very underrated veg.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Agree wholeheartedly, I thought it was just me thinking that.
I would also like to moan about this years potatoes and carrots.
I am finding it increasingly harder to cut through them to portion them for the pan. I feel like I am cutting through stone.
Anyone else found this too? Or is it my old hands becoming infirm
One thing I've noticed with some of the carrots that appear for sale here is a very long thin end to them that would be impossible to peel and slice - those bits I break off before I weigh them
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Yes I'm sure they are getting bigger. Thanks for the info re your dogs liking them, b-v. Think I'll offer them to my mutt and see what he thinks. Do your dogs eat them raw?
Yes (but they also eat them cooked too - I just add them to their dinner) they also love (raw): parsnips, swede, cauliflower stems, turnips. They also like honedew melon

Their favourite meal (they will jump up me when they smell it cooking) is rice, peas, sweetcorn, runner beans, an egg and a stock cube - my youngest dog loves fish so I often chuck some sardines in for them. The vet says she thinks that is a healthier diet than the dried dog food! Bit expensive but nice to give them that as a treat
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 11:27 AM

We home cook for ours vet tells us Mollie has the best teeth for a dog her age he has seen. Never use stock cubes though as that's too much salt for them.

Chicken, minced beef, mixed vegetables and rice. Crunchy carrots are the last thing they have at night as that cleans their teeth.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Agree Barry as I said I don't very often buy the broccoli with a big head because I like the leaves and long stems on the other varieties but when I do I slice the florets so that they include the stem. I always steam broccoli, it only takes a few moments.

The other thing about the 'big' broccoli bought from shops is it is often yellow inside so doesn't look so attractive.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We home cook for ours vet tells us Mollie has the best teeth for a dog her age he has seen. Never use stock cubes though as that's too much salt for them.
One cube in about 2+ pints of water once a week isn't going to do them any harm - I'm sure the vet would have commented when I ran that past her.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
One cube in about 2+ pints of water once a week isn't going to do them any harm - I'm sure the vet would have commented when I ran that past her.
Different vets obviously have different ideas, ours said the diet was great and definitely never to use stock cubes. Just as a precaution I will carry in following that but obviously we have to do what suits our own dogs. Mine because they have 3 meals a day all home cooked would probably be getting a lot more salt that yours though.

I cook the rice and chicken and veg all in the same pot so the rice gets naturally flavoured, my husband has tried it and says it tastes nicer than the rice I cook for him
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Glad I'm not the only one

There's two - the first is taste (I prefer the taste to the florets, though that's of course subjective) but secondly and more importantly, it's the nutritional value - which is concentrated in the florets - particularly chlorophyll.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 06:47 PM

That's what I was thinking plantman.

The outer skin can be a bit tough but all you do is peel that off.
Someone I know does that, cuts the stem into small segments, (calls them broccoli stars!) and stir-fries them - lovely!
I grew broccoli (calabrese) this year but I mistimed the harvest and the florets had opened!
I did Purple-Sprouting last year and caught half the crop in time and the stems were nice too.

You've really got to watch them though, Purple-Sprouting AND Calabrese - they "go-over" very quickly!! stevmk2

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top