Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
MrsKaia
California, USA
MrsKaia is female  MrsKaia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Re: Is 'brown' better ...?

Although I have easy access to raw honey (my husband is a beekeeper), I don't always substitute with it. I use brown sugar too. And palm sugar, refined white, powdered sugar, whatever a recipe calls for I don't always like the taste of honey in my food, 'cause it does tend to take over
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Here in UK it is Meg, we also don't as far as I am aware add anything else to sugar like they do in USA.
MrsKaia
California, USA
MrsKaia is female  MrsKaia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mariska I thought some brown sugar is unrefined sugar with the molasses left in rather than added ...
Some yes. Like the muscovado. But others they add it to in a later stage. Why there is that difference? I don't know

Found an answer in the Wikipedia.
Brown sugar is often produced by adding sugarcane molasses to completely refined white sugar crystals to more carefully control the ratio of molasses to sugar crystals and to reduce manufacturing costs.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Well for better or worse I like a spoon of brown sugar in coffee, most of the time I have artificial sweeteners in hot drinks.....I don't think they're good for you either.
MrsKaia
California, USA

11-01-2014, 08:34 PM

I don't think it will hurt, as long as you don't overdo it. I've seen people drink their sugar with a little bit of coffee in it. I guess that would be overdoing it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 09:47 PM

I think all sugar is bad for us and unnecessary in the diet but it does help to make some lovely dishes
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 09:49 PM

I always use Demerara sugar or the very dark muscovado sugar and I think both of these sugars come from sugar cane rather than sugarbeet. I never buy white sugar these days.

"Unlike brown sugar, which is just refined white sugar lightly bathed in a bit of molasses (this is a good thing to know, as you can just substitute brown sugar for white sugar with a bit of molasses added), Demerara sugar is a large-grained, somewhat crunchy, raw sugar with origins in Guyana (a colony formerly called Demerara). Because of the rising popularity of Demerara over the years (with the European market being the early adopters, and the U.S. market slowly following behind) this particular type of sugar is now produced in Mexico, India, Hawaii, among other countries.

Demerara is a light brown, partially refined, sugar produced from the first crystallization during processing cane juice into sugar crystals (this process is similar to what happens with naturally evaporated cane juice). Unlike brown sugar, which has the added molasses flavor, Demerara has a natural caramel-like flavor that hasn’t been refined out. This lends warm caramel notes to whatever you add the sugar. Also, Demerara sugar is also referred to as Turbinado sugar in many markets, which has more to do with how the sugar is processed in turbines, than where it originates.

Some claim that Demerara (as well as Turbinado) sugar holds more nutritional value, with an elevated mineral content that hadn’t been lost to the refining process (it is important to note that sugar, in any form, is not a health food by any stretch of the imagination and has been linked to everything from obesity to diabetes). The jury still out on these claims. But to be sure, Demerara sugar is actually far more delicious than your run of the mill white sugar, and lends complexity and depth to recipes, baked goods, and even tea. Its crunchy, large crystals are a nice addition (added sparingly) to the tops of muffins, cakes, and even cookies

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/wha...#ixzz2q7mSPPQR "
MrsKaia
California, USA

11-01-2014, 11:30 PM

This thread makes me hungry...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I chose brown sugar last year, instead of white. Is it actually 'better' than white sugar to have, or no difference...
Do you mean brown sugar or raw sugar? There is a difference.

I seem to remember that Britain's sugar came from sugar beet whereas ours comes from sugar cane grown mostly in Queensland. Whether beet is still the source of Britain's sugar I have no idea.

Personally I always buy raw sugar but as I rarely use sugar at all it lasts me a very long time but it saves embarrassment when guests want sugar in their tea.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2014, 10:21 AM

I use dark Muscavado sugar when making Bread Pudding - Meg please note!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top