Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 09:03 PM

How to stop beef going off in the fridge?

I've been buying those packets of frying steaks, where you get three (smallish ones) in a packet - I try to use just one a day (I am not greedy ) by putting the ones I don't use in a plastic bag sealed as tight as I can. But they start to brown by day two and always by day three. Yet in their original, unopened sealed plastic 'packet' they can last for ages - even past their sell by date!

So I wonder, is there anyway to store them for a couple of days without them going off? Maybe putting n water first?

Any ideas appreciated
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Re: How to stop beef going off in the fridge?

Put them in the freezer Azz.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 09:36 PM

You do realise brown means aged and not that it has gone off. So either freeze them to keep them unaged or enjoy them as they have aged a bit.

Blimey for a veggie to have to advise a meat eater about meat is a bit weird
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Yes Azz, I would open the packet and take out one steak, then freeze the other two separately.

I also buy multi packs of salmon steaks and always separate them into what I'm going to use that day, then freeze the rest and take out what I need at a later date.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Azz I think once the airtight seal is broken the meat from those packs doesn't keep so well.

With three steaks you could eat one, marinade the second for the following day and freeze the third.

I would use a small amount of marinade, olive oil/small amount of garlic/black pepper. It should be nice and tender.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I've been buying those packets of frying steaks, where you get three (smallish ones) in a packet - I try to use just one a day (I am not greedy ) by putting the ones I don't use in a plastic bag sealed as tight as I can. But they start to brown by day two and always by day three. Yet in their original, unopened sealed plastic 'packet' they can last for ages - even past their sell by date!

So I wonder, is there anyway to store them for a couple of days without them going off? Maybe putting n water first?

Any ideas appreciated

There is nothing wrong with the beef even after three days in the fridge. The colour change means nothing other than oxidisation, as long as the meat doesn't feel slimy or smell it should keep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Azz matey, you could always send the unused steaks to me, - I'll eat 'em!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There is nothing wrong with the beef even after three days in the fridge. The colour change means nothing other than oxidisation, as long as the meat doesn't feel slimy or smell it should keep in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
Bruce I think that depends on the beef.
A lot of supermarket meat is not 'dry aged' these days and goes slimy and horrid quite quickly particularly if it is thinly sliced.
At one time some meat packers injected carbon monoxide into the packaging to keep the meat a nice red colour, I don't know if this is still done .As soon as the package was opened the meat went brown.

I try to buy meat from a butcher who hangs his meat to age it and I use or freeze meat as soon after purchasing as possible. I don't eat a lot of meat these days but when I do I like it to be good.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2014, 11:34 AM

I would say freeze it. It is the best way to preserve it.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2014, 03:24 PM

I remember, decades ago, my local butcher would laugh at the customers who would refuse to purchase a particular joint because the surface had gone dark. He explained to me that this was actually tastier meat than the ones which were merely red. He would slice the dark meat off, and sell it to me at a fraction of the cost. Some of the nicest 'steak' I have ever eaten.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top