Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 08:15 PM

Help with DWP needed.

My son Sam died recently on a Sunday. As his money goes into my bank because he wasn`t able to manage it himself, and because he was paid weekly in arrears I used the money that went in on the Wednesday to cover his debts and keep for that week.
The DWP has now written to me asking for the £95 Severe Disablement Allowance. What do I do? I`m on Pension Credit so I don`t have any money to give them, and to be honest, don`t see how they are entitled to it. Please don`t advise going to Citizens Advice because they`re not very good here.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Re: Help with DWP needed.

I think you could offer to pay it back £5 a week (or month) - that way if it ever went to court at least the judge could see you made an effort to pay it back.

With regards to whether they would let you keep it - well you'd think so but so much of it is now computerised that even if someone at the office wanted to they may not actually be able to :-/
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 09:21 PM

I`ve been all through the bank statements and traced it - it`s a different amount (£75) and it went into the bank more than 2 weeks after I notified them. I`ll offer to pay it back at 50p a week. They can always take me to court if they want it quicker.
The money paid the week he died was his - it`s paid in arrears, per week. That`s why it was such a shock when they asked for money back. I hadn`t noticed this later payment.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Contact your MP - this is exactly the kind of situation they should help you with
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 07:13 PM

I hope it can be sorted out for you soon, Claire
fuzzy finker
Kent, UK
fuzzy finker is male  fuzzy finker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Try this site - any sort of financial or debt problems, there's someone around who should be able to help:
http://www.consumerforums.com/
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Firstly, I am so very sorry for your loss (having been there myself.) I just wanted to say that if you are aged 50+ you are entitled to advice, from Age Concern if you don't feel confident in the CAB. I hope you get it resolved, it's bad enough your grieving for your dear son without all this on top!!

June x

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top