Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Any vegetarians on the forum?

I'm a lifelong vegetarian, not because of any moral issues but because as a very small child, I just wouldn't or couldn't eat meat. I have a very clear memory of being at kindergarten (as we called it back then in the dark ages ) aged about four and gagging on a piece of meat and one of the other girls saying to me 'wrap it up in the (mashed) potato', which I did, and just swallowed it down in a gulp without chewing or it even touching the sides.

My mum tells me that even as a wee toddler I wouldn't eat chicken soup. My sister and brothers would have chicken soup, while I would have vegetable or tomato. I don't know what it was, but something about the smell of meat cooking (even soup) and the taste and texture of it, turned me right off. Same goes for fish.

As I got older and started to realise that it was 'creatures', that may also have become a factor but it certainly never started out that way. You could say I was born a vegetarian.

I don't eat any meat, fish or eggs - but I do eat dairy, milk and cheese - I couldn't live without cheese!

I'm not preachy about it at all. Both my kids eat meat, and my daughter loves her fish. I would never inflict my tastes on them, although neither are what you would call big meat eaters - steaks or joints of lamb or anything like that. They like chicken, son loves a bacon sarnie and they both eat eggs, scrambled, fried, all ways.

I just wondered if there are any other veggies on here, who might be interested in sharing recipes? Or maybe carnivores who know some good veggie recipes?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Re: Any vegetarians on the forum?

I went Vegan for 10 days once found it difficult so gave up, but would love to try it again... I will have to keep an eye out for your recipes

Here's a couple of mine

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=2328

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=3194
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Jenilou darlin' - I just love my meat!!! - have a very good butcher just down the road from me who, in addition to all the traditional meats, also gets me safari meat - meat from African and Australian animals and birds. Its gorgeous and if the meat is cooked properly it is so tender it doesn't need chewing - it just melts in the mouth. Your childhood experience of chewing on gristle or something wasn't good and clearly the meat had not been cooked properly.
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Jenilou darlin' - I just love my meat!!! - have a very good butcher just down the road from me who, in addition to all the traditional meats, also gets me safari meat - meat from African and Australian animals and birds. Its gorgeous and if the meat is cooked properly it is so tender it doesn't need chewing - it just melts in the mouth. Your childhood experience of chewing on gristle or something wasn't good and clearly the meat had not been cooked properly.

it's more than that Uncle Joe. Chicken soup is hardly gristle now is it? The meat I had at kindergarten was also cooked fine. It was me, not the meat.

Then and now, I don't like the smell or look of meat, or fish of any shape or size. So whereas most people would find themselves drooling at a joint of pork roasting or a juicy steak sizzling, it just leaves me cold. Same with fish. How can people eat sushi - yuk!

It's just one of those things, like some people don't like pease pudding or swede. I like both by the way!

So no point you extolling the virtues of meat and your butcher to me I'm afraid. I have been a vegetarian for the best part of five decades and I'm not going to change now. I'm perfectly happy with being that way ... I was just looking to exchange a few vegetarian recipes with anyone interested, that was all.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 07:15 PM

I used to eat small amounts of different meats up to about 10 years ago, then I suddenly went completely of it, not sure why , could have been the mad cow thing seeing all the carcasses being burned, but now I cant even stand the smell of it being cooked, stay well away from the kitchen. Sorry I cant help with recipes.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 07:30 PM

Same here ....... can't stand the texture or smell of meat, it just crept up on me over the years. Can't really think of a specific reason, just went right off it. I am fine with any seafood and fish dishes though. Fortunately I love most vegetables. Strange thing is, we were brought up on kidneys, hearts, liver etc. I used to give my kids the same and preparing hearts was not the most pleasant of jobs, it didn't bother me one bit then. I wonder why this has happened?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Strange isn't it Mary. You made me laugh talking about the hearts, my Wife still orders them from the butcher, the big ones, beef hearts she calls them, and to see her prepare them is a wonderful sight... for a hungry zombie, how she does it is beyond me, but she loves all that insides stuff..yuk!. As they say, 'Horses for courses'.
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2011, 09:32 PM

one of my daughters dosn't like the raste of meat, I cook vegetarian sometimes and have a good 'meatloaf 'that is very yummy filling and also good for picnic pack up but it has eggs

large onion chopped, 1 green pepper ( or hand full of frozen) chopped 4 oz sliced mushrooms, 4oz brown breadcrumbs ( have used bulger wheat instead) 7 oz greated cheese, 3 eggs beaten), 1oz butter, seasoning to taste, pinch mixed herbs serve with potatoes and a tomato sause ( not the bottled sort) gentle fry the onion and pepper till almost cooked add mushroom and cook for 2 mins, remove fromheat and mix in all the remaining ingrediants except the cheese and mix well press into a greased tin (8x4 inch 20 x 10 or a pint enamel dish ) sprinkle with the cheese and mixed herbs bake in 180*c/350*f / mark 4 gas for 45 mins. serves 4 to 5

of corse you can add almost anything to the mix, I have added the left over not enough for another meal meat, bacon, and exchanged the veg for things like greated carrot and spinache, not had a loaf that wasn't nice to eat
Jenilou
South of England

05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
one of my daughters dosn't like the raste of meat, I cook vegetarian sometimes and have a good 'meatloaf 'that is very yummy filling and also good for picnic pack up but it has eggs

large onion chopped, 1 green pepper ( or hand full of frozen) chopped 4 oz sliced mushrooms, 4oz brown breadcrumbs ( have used bulger wheat instead) 7 oz greated cheese, 3 eggs beaten), 1oz butter, seasoning to taste, pinch mixed herbs serve with potatoes and a tomato sause ( not the bottled sort) gentle fry the onion and pepper till almost cooked add mushroom and cook for 2 mins, remove fromheat and mix in all the remaining ingrediants except the cheese and mix well press into a greased tin (8x4 inch 20 x 10 or a pint enamel dish ) sprinkle with the cheese and mixed herbs bake in 180*c/350*f / mark 4 gas for 45 mins. serves 4 to 5

of corse you can add almost anything to the mix, I have added the left over not enough for another meal meat, bacon, and exchanged the veg for things like greated carrot and spinache, not had a loaf that wasn't nice to eat
Sounds lovely! Many thanks - will definitely give this one a go.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Hi Jennie I don't eat Chicken, if I cook it for others I have to cover it in herbs to mask the smell. In fact I don't eat anything with feathers on , it goes back to childhood and looking after the hens.
I have toyed with being a vegie but never managed to stick to it.

I love this version of Tapanade served on garlic toasted french bread. It is very strong so a little goes a long way.

Ingredients
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tbsp capers, chopped
250g/9oz black olives, pitted
lemon juice
small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

To make a rough textured tapenade, simply mix all the ingredients together, adding enough olive oil to form a paste.

For a smoother texture, put the garlic, lemon juice and capers into a food processor and process for about 10 seconds. Add the olives and parsley and enough olive oil to make a paste.

Season to taste

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top